Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with Mazda. Need help on exhaust recommendations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with Mazda. Need help on exhaust recommendations.

Wussup guys?? I'm a newbie to the Mazda family and I need some recommendations on Exhaust work. My cat's are noisy as hell and all my piping is leaking. I'm about two weeks away from going to get my exhaust redone at the shop. I'm thinking custom header with one high flow cat and muffler all in 2.25 or 2.50 sized piping. what do you guys think. It's a 1.5L Auto. by the way.

Welcome to the boards.

I think there are several posts with exhaust info. Just do a search for it. If you still can't find anything post up the questions.

Here's a thread about exhaust recommendations

I got most of my exhaust done at a local Midas. The only thing they didn't do was remove my pre-cat and replace it with a downpipe. My downpipe is 2.5" then everything else back is 2.25". I also have a Magnaflow Hi-flow Cat.

Oh yeah and don't expect a miracle in performance change. It'll help but not too much.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Yeah, there is really nothing you can do to improve the Z5, short of a turbo, and even that would still be pretty slow. It probably wouldn't be worth the money to do a custom setup like that, especially with an automatic, you'd probably be better off saving for a swap or some such.

Comment

It seems as though he's gotta do exhaust work anyway so why not upgrade the exhaust system now. I only see the positives of getting the work done now. Well ... the custom header and downpipe might be overkill though, unless you can get a good deal.

95ProLeila: Do you have any pics of the piping right after you exhaust manifold? I'm curious to see how the 1.8L setup looks like under there.
        Last edited by loganss; 10-18-2004, 08:46 AM.
        ED

Comment

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've read that there about exhaust work on forums already but I basically wanted to know if it was a good setup what i was going to do. I think I'm going to stick with a high flow cat and a muffler and 2.25 piping. Is there anybody that maybe makes a cat-back system?? And also has anyone added a dual muffler set up. I was told it can be possible but it's recommended that I use a smaller pipe to the second muffler if i want to make it funtional.

Comment

Have you tried going to the junkyard to look for a 2nd gen.. You could pull the whole exhuast off the car .. If it's not rusted to holy hell.

Or just get 2 inch piping and have them put on a stock replacement muffler.
            Don't forget to get a good resonator also.
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by loganss
              It seems as though he's gotta do exhaust work anyway so why not upgrade the exhaust system now. I only see the positives of getting the work done now. Well ... the custom header and downpipe might be overkill though, unless you can get a good deal.

95ProLeila: Do you have any pics of the piping right after you exhaust manifold? I'm curious to see how the 1.8L setup looks like under there.
              Only pics I have are of the cat and muffler, and, well, I won't be getting any new pics either, as my poor leila is living outside at the moment and won't be up on a lift any time soon (I hope). All the piping is stock, saw no need to change it, as it's already 2" SS

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                Have you tried going to the junkyard to look for a 2nd gen.. You could pull the whole exhuast off the car .. If it's not rusted to holy hell.

Or just get 2 inch piping and have them put on a stock replacement muffler.
                Don't forget to get a good resonator also.
                I've decided that I am going to go with the 2inch piping but I will be adding a high flow catalytic and resonator but I'm also going to try adding a dual exhaust system and see how i like it.

Comment

Kdawg has a custom dual exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by DCCylwsdime
                    I've decided that I am going to go with the 2inch piping but I will be adding a high flow catalytic and resonator but I'm also going to try adding a dual exhaust system and see how i like it.
                    Hmm ok. Being as it's an auto I would dream of putting anything loud on the car.
                    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

yeah man automatics with full exhausts are annoying sounding.
                      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                      225.94wtq
                      torque monster!!!!
                      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I have an auto with all exhaust replaced and it doesn't sound bad. Maybe I'm just really biased.
                        ED

Comment

Down where I live there is a guy with dual mufflers setup and it's not as loud as ricer or nothing. It's actually pretty mean sounding. Could the piping maybe have to do with it since your adding an extra pipe which means more exhaust flow?? I mean, this guys Pro sounds mean as hell!!

Comment

Well going from a standard single pipe to a dual pipe isn't going to help. The same exhaust flow from the exhaust header and back is going to be the same. It's really pointless for a 4 cylinder in my opinion. All those are for is looks and sound.
                            Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Working...
                            X