Engine Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Swap?

I have a 1998 Mazda Protege LX with the 1.5 liter DOHC (Z5). I have looked around quite a bit and I think the F2-T would be the best thing I can put in this car since I don't think I will find an FE3-T anywhere. My question is does anyone know if it will fit and how much has to be replaced with different parts. Will the transmission need to go? Any info you can provide will be a great help.

... what are those.. engines?

Comment

F2-T FE3-T
      What car are those engines coming from?
      ED
      '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
      Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
      WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

The F2 is a 2.2 Liter DOHC the F2-T is the turbo version.

It was in '89-92 Ford Probe and '88-92 Mazda MX-6/626

The FE3 motor is a 2.0 liter DOHC 16-valve engine. The engine came mostly normally aspirated, but turbocharge briefly for a Rally team about 8 engines, they can not be found anymore. The FE3 came with a lofty 170hp@6000 rpm and 160ft/lbs of torque @4500rpm, and turbocharge came with a beefy 260hp and 283ft/lbs of torque with 13.5 psi stock. Both engines had the same bore and stroke. The bore is the same as the F2/F2T motor, which is 86mm, 3.39cu in. The stroke is also 86mm, 3.39cu in, as the F2/F2T is 94mm, 3.70cu in.

This engine was in: 87-92 626 Capella FWD & AWD, 626 Capella Coupe (MX-6), 626 Capella Wagon FWD & AWD,and a very limited edition 626 Capella AWD Turbo, and the Ford Telstar.

Redline is 7000 rpm.

The FE3 is way better than the F2 however the F2-T is nomally better than the FE3.

Comment

This should really be under Engine/Drivetrain Tech and Peformance I posted in the wrong area.

Comment

a swap like that into a second generation has never been attempted

differnet variations of the BP and Z5 engine families have only been put into our cars... you'd be one of the first to try to do something like that

you'd have to experiement with motormounts and wiring and axles and physical fitment and a lot of stuff

Comment

Working...
            X