Airbag Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag Removal

I am considering ordering an aftermarket steering wheel for my car. What I need to know is, is it illegal to remove the air bag? I have heard different opinions on this matter.

I guess nobody knows.

Comment

Up in our neck of the woods, several members have done it and from our resident experts i.e. cops on our boards, no one has ever mentioned that it is illegal, per se.

dr_"our guys have used Momo wheels"_sarcasm.
      "I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose."

Comment

i believe it is illegal, depending on the state, since it is a factory installed safety device. however, i don't see a cop really worrying about it if that were the case, then me unplugging my mom's in her pick up truck would be illegal and she asked me to, since she's short, and sits really close to the steering wheel, and was worried the air bag would do more damage than good technically you should also report it to your insurance, since you might be getting a safety discount

Comment

It seems as if insurance wouldn't care until after the fact if something should happen. I have State Farm and they could give a rats ass if I have an alarm system with starter kill. Most insurances at least used to give 5-10% off for this feature, State Farm is just out for money. I am sure if something should happen, they would drag their feet on getting a claim settled.
          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
          Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
            I am sure if something should happen, they would drag their feet on getting a claim settled.
            Or deny your medical claims altogether, should there be any.

Best bet is to let them know. Yes, it may cost you more. But if you ever need the coverage, denied claims will cost A LOT more than the few bucks per year airbag discount.

BTW - Removing the airbag probably isn't illegal in and of itself, however airbags ARE required equipment on passenger cars in the US (maybe Cananda, too), so at your next safety inspection be prepared to flunk. And it is DEFINITELY fraud to claim you have airbags when you don't to keep insurance discounts.

And airbags will save your life....period. Removing them so you can have a "cool" steering wheel ain't too smart. Just MHO.

~HH

Comment

There have been a couple posts about this on Proclub...
              I have been pondering this for a long time, but I just don't feal safe taking of the airbag and then something happens and I have to go through insurance difficulties.

I know my car would have such a cooler looking interior. I don't know if I would pass nyc saftey inspection, but I guess for once a year. I can plug the sucker in right.
              lol

I think I will leave mine in the car to avoid any problems..
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

We don't have any inspections in TN. A cool looking steering wheel has gotten very important to me because I am trying to get my car show worthy. They give the interior a complete make over compared to the stock wheel. Plus I have changed practically everything in the interior, so the wheel is just bugging me. I painted it black but it still seems to dull for me.

Comment

I have seen airbags removed from protege's before,
                  once in real life , but i haven't seen in done infront of me, so i know it can be done, but i don't know how

i know for a fact that if a cop in VA, especially in northern VA, if you get pulled over, and the cop sees that, he WILL ticket you

so it depends on state laws.

hope that kinda helped

Mods :

Racing Beats Springs...Racing beat Exhast (catback)...Boston Accoustics...50% tint all over ...Piaa superwhite fog lights...blue neon under seats... mesh grill (looks good, see for your self)...6cd OEM changer...blue engine loom in engine...clear corner turn signals...Kenwood amp(600W)

My car gallery

My car in silver

CRV.... Sold....sniff, sniff

Comment

Working...
                  X