Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time at the wheel alignment shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time at the wheel alignment shop...

I have never been to an alignment shop and have my car aligned even after I lower and cut the springs. It felt like the car didn't need an alignment and my tires was fine no camber, caster or toe wear.

About 2 mos. ago I did my rear disc convertion. After doing the convertion my steering wheel was off the center but it doesn't pull to left/right it just goes straight on the road although when I hit 50 mph I hear this tire noise kind of like the 4 X 4 big truck when they pass by you on the freeway. After maybe 55 mph the nosie is gone. Last Friday I went to get my car aligned for the first time and found out that my front passenger wheel was off and the rear driver side was off.
    On my way home after getting my car aligned the car felt smoother and quieter. It felt like I wasn't dragging anything in the back anymore unlike before. ( I have proxes on the front and azenis on the rear).

I told my friend about this today (guy w/ EG B18c5 pushing 192 whp). He said that when he having his car dyno the mechanic said that his front wheels are off so he aligned it and when it was aligned he gained 7 whp. I really dont have any Idea if this is true but thats what he told me...I say you can maybe 2-4whp but probably not 7. But then again I have never had my car dynoed so I have no idea...

Never heard of that, but alignment is always a good idea. Glad you got that sorted out
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

how much did it cost for an alignment, i need to get mine aligned
      '91 323 SE
      Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

Coming Soon- Kartboy SS, Pakfeifer Front Bumper
      <center></center>

<a href="mailto://67mustangjosh@gmail.com">67mustangjosh@gmail dot com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by mustangjosh67
        how much did it cost for an alignment, i need to get mine aligned
        around $60 - depends on where you go I would assume.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Maybe it could have been because the wheels are not fighting each othe and are pointed in a more straighter line, which reduces drag on the car.

I don't know if it would register as a hp increase though.
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

thats what i thought it was around
            '91 323 SE
            Sony 12" Sub and amp - 17" Motegi MR7's wrapped in 205/40/zr Visa's - Protoss CAI - Magnaflow Exhaust - Indiglo Gauges and Carbon Fiber Bezel - Ractive Shift Knob, Boot, and Pedals - GroundControls

Coming Soon- Kartboy SS, Pakfeifer Front Bumper
            <center></center>

<a href="mailto://67mustangjosh@gmail.com">67mustangjosh@gmail dot com</a>

Comment

Yea, $60-$70 is about right, I paid $70 at a local shop here because he does the best job around, he does it the old fashioned way
              Dan
              dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by 1ofdfew323
                cut the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
                  Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think.. Not on our light cars anyway.
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

However, it is true that to lower a 1st gen any apprecable amount by cutting the springs, too much spring is removed, and you will corner on the bumpstops.

Cutting a spring not only lowers it, but makes it stiffer. Hence, normal ride height will not drop at a linear rate with how much you cut off.
                    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                    -93 MR2, 129 ES
                    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

whp is the output of the motor. how would altering your suspension increase your power? that makes no sense at all.
                      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

extra frictional drag due to the tires fighting each other.

come on Wil, even Bruce figured it out
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

It's physics!! See force diagram
                          Attached Files
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I hope your wheels wern't off that much. That's extreme un- alignment
                            1982 Datsun 280ZX - R.I.P.
                            1994 Mazda Protege DX -

Comment

what?

camber *IS* effected by changing ride height. Toe is also.
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X