Shaky steering over 50 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaky steering over 50 mph

Hi guys, I'm having a shaky steering wheel over 50 mph. It goes from left to right rapidly and constantly on maybe 1/4" not more. I can dampen the shaking if I hold the steering tight. But when holding it normally I can clearly feel the vibration and it's pretty anoying.

I can also feel that constant vibration when braking. Could it be a warped rotor? Also, for your information the car has a fresh alignment, front tires are pretty much shot, sway bar ok, end links ok (although bushings look old) and no loose balljoints or tie rods (they would've been changed before alignment).

Any ideas??

Thanks!!!

i would go back and tell the people who aligned your wheels.....it sound like a bad alignment
    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
    Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

Originally posted by redfox
      i would go back and tell the people who aligned your wheels.....it sound like a bad alignment
      In fact, I don't think it's the alignment... If I let the wheel go the car goes straight ahead. Very straight. The shaking was there before the alignment and it's still there. Seems worse while accelerating and when under load. It's the fact that I can feel it too while braking that makes me wonder what the hell could it be.

Comment

Wheels out of balance, probably
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
          Wheels out of balance, probably
          Yeah, could be... I'll let you know after I put my winter tires later this week.

Comment

mine was doing that while braking before I put new pads and had the rotors turned. went away after that.

If yours does it under accelleration as well, then probably not that
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

charles is correct, one of your wheels probably threw a weight.
              According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by fuq_A_vtec
                charles is correct, one of your wheels probably threw a weight.
                Yeah that's probably the cause... it only does it when going 50+ and gets worse as I go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                  check your tie rods and ball joints
                  Quote from my first post :

"Also, for your information the car has a fresh alignment, front tires are pretty much shot, sway bar ok, end links ok (although bushings look old) and no loose balljoints or tie rods (they would've been changed before alignment)."

Comment

My Protege had horribly unbalanced wheels when I picked it up. Driving over 55 caused the whole car to vibrate to the point of where I felt like I was kinda hydroplaning the road even though water wasn't involved. My dad balanced the tires, 1 needed 4oz(!) and the rest needed a fair amount. Drives fine now, even though my dad hasn't aligned it yet it's still straight and holds the road great.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Jeez, how many Mazda's does your family own?
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

if it only shakes when you give it throttle, its the axle.

if it does it constantly, its probably a unbalanced wheel, or a worn wheel bearing
                        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
                          if it only shakes when you give it throttle, its the axle.

if it does it constantly, its probably a unbalanced wheel, or a worn wheel bearing
                          It does it all the time as long as I'm going over 50, but it seems to shake harder under load and accelaration. It peaks @ 70 mph ... slower or faster is less shaky.

Anyways, pretty sure it's an unbalaced wheel(s).

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                            Jeez, how many Mazda's does your family own?
                            Eight.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                            On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                            My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

weird....when my car would shake.....it would peak at about 65mph and then lessen if i went like 80.

It was the passenger axle and went completley away after I replaced it. The mofo was just worn i guess.

But i guess it could be anything mentioned above.
                              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Working...
                              X