October 2004 RotM - MazdaRacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2004 RotM - MazdaRacer

This month we were faced with a very hard decision as to whom to choose for the October Ride of the Month. After what started as a very tight race, MazdaRacer pulled ahead and was crowned as October's "Ride of the Month". Id like to personally say congratulations Darryl and thank you for your contribution to the Mazda Community. I would also like to extend a "pat-on-the-back" if you will, to the three other finalists; McCorkle, ProtegeMenace, and TheGoldPro. All of these guys have great rides and deserve as much recognition as does Darryl. Thank you for your dedication to the Mazda community.

Now before you say "great, another 1st gen" just sit back and enjoy the ride for a few minitues. Please remember to keep your hands, arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times and don't forget an extra pair of underpants! According to Brock, you need them:
    Originally posted by Protoss
    I have gone for a spin in Darryls car, and I was most impressed. That and he almost made me **** myself, as we came screaming off an offramp to catch up to a rx8. I got a gooood look at the back of an rx8.
    Now take a few moments to experience the phenomenon that is Darryl Craig's autox prepped First Generation Mazda Protege.

1990 Mazda Protege LX
    "This car will never be sold. It will race till the day it dies."

Modifications:

Engine/Drivetrain:
    Custom Air intake
    RX7 Air Flow Meter
    Rod Millen Motorsport 4-2-1 Header
    Magnaflow Catalytic Converter
    Custom 2" mandrel bent header back exhaust system
    Apex'i N1 Muffler
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Shifter connecting rod bushings
    Exedy Clutch

Suspension/Brakes:
    Dynamic Racing Suspension adjustable inverted dampers
    Hypercoil Race Springs 500#/325#
    JDM OEM Front Strut Bar
    Autotech Rear Strut Bar
    Cusco Camber Plates
    Energy Suspension Polyurethane Suspension Bushing Kit
    Quikor 24.5mm Rear Sway Bar
    Off The Line Motorsports Custom Lower Tie Bars
    Brembo Slotted/Xdimpled Front Rotors
    Brembo Slotted Rear Rotors
    Hawk HPS Brake Pads
    Technafit Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    Kosei K1 Racing Wheels 15x7 38mm offset
    Falken Azenis 205/50/15

Interior/Exterior:
    EDM 323 GTX front bumper
    EDM foglight grille
    1992 Mazda MX3 Front Seats
    G-Force 5pt Racing Harness
    Custom Paint
    1992 Tail Lamps
    Ebreuni Rear Spoiler
    JDM Honda S2000 Sidemarkers
    JDM SIRIUS Driving Lights
    2002 Protege5 Leather Steering Wheel
    Mazdaspeed Leather Shift Knob
    Ryken Pedals

And the story from the man himself:
    I bought the car new in Aug. 1990 and ever since, it's been a running project. Not many performance parts were available for the car back then, so it started as a street car/show car. I started with the obvious, wheels & tires, Eibach Pro Kit springs, window tint and stereo system. Once i had the stereo built i entered my first car show at what is now known as Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego. I ended up with a first place!! ya, with just those mods and a very clean interior.

Then i found Rod Millen Motorsports in 92/93. I'd go in, what seemed like about once a month and just hang out talking to the guys and buying atleast one part...exhaust, strut bar, header, intake, sway bars...

A few years went by where the car just stayed as is with the occasional wheel/tire change, although the stereo was changed about 5 times. Then i found the internet groups around 98/99 and it renewed my interest for the car. I found out there where infact a whole world of parts out there, including the turbo engines and big time parts, like cams, pistons, etc... It brought the car to a whole new light.... I started to get more parts, replace old ones and learned a whole ton about this car and it's hertitage and siblings. I then realized, this car has much more performance potential, than a show car. So, once the car was headed more towards a clean street machine look, rather than, a show car look, I stumbled upon autox racing and that this car was a good candidate for a great handling car...

A couple local guys i met via an online list finally got me out to an event at the end of 2001. The coolest and most helpfull guys i could have met. They basically held my hand the whole day and walked me through the ins and outs of the event and how to drive an autox course. I went for a ride for the first time out, 60 secs later, i couldn't get into my car fast enough to get out there and try it for myself.

I stayed with it and have only missed 2 or 3 events since that day. In my first full year, i placed 5th in STS class and last year i placed 6th. I am working towards another top 10 finish this year. The show car died that first race day and the performance handlng beast emerged. It has been built to turn, to turn fast and to turn well. It's a never ending tuning project and in this type of racing (Autox Solo2) most of the tuning is to the driver

This car will never be sold. It will race till the day it dies.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. I have to admit, it was an honor to do this months write up. I was very excited to see Darryl's car featured for this month and Id like to extend a congratulations on behalf of the RotM crew and the ClubProtege Moderator Staff.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Cograts Darryl!!! Now, paint that damn bumper
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
      Cograts Darryl!!! Now, paint that damn bumper
      now "this^" is definatly a RE-POST! leave the poor guy alone...lol
      Awsome ride mazdaracer, a good win!
      '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
      Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

A couple of my latest favorite pics of the car:

'91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

that wiper is mad jdm.
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

congrats mang!

Comment

big D is awesome.
              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
              -93 MR2, 129 ES
              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

congrats Darryl

Comment

ya ya, the wiper is ghey, the bumper needs painting, the wheels are mix matched, why all the stickers..blah blah blah

LOL

Thanks guys, this means alot to me.

Comment

Keep the wiper. I respect the fact that you've said "f-you" all this time...to swap it out now would be a shame.

Congrats! Great job!
                    My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                    - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

Wow it's been almost a year since I've seen your car. I still have the string tied to my tie hook from the piƱata.
                      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Congrats Darryl, well deserved!
                        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Few years ago, when i got interested in cars, protege to be exact, this one is the first i spotted on the internet
                          One day you are born,
                          The next big milestone
                          you discover go zoom-zoom
                          you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

I know its late, but congrats man.
                            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
                              Few years ago, when i got interested in cars, protege to be exact, this one is the first i spotted on the internet
                              Me too. Back on the old site when the evo bumper picture was on the main page, hehe.
                              2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Working...
                              X