Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I like proteges so much I think I may buy a second...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like proteges so much I think I may buy a second...

In my eyes. few cars outdo the protege in terms of practicality, performance, comfort and PRICE... I already have a '03 LX for the family, and I was thinking about picking up a '00 ES manual just because they're getting so cheap now. $7000 would prolly pick one up with a touch under 100,000 km.

So what do you guys think? Am I insane, or should I try something else just because the option's there

(I can see the '00 as being a tuned car; I don't wanna break the '03s warranty yet.) I hope I can find a white one.. I've always liked the way the pro looked in white

I own 2 P5's and would own more.

Mental Addiction Motorsports
    Sleeper Turbo Kit ~ 296whp @ 15psi

Comment

If you're stuck to 3rd gens, and you want a performer, then you have to ask yourself some questions...

if you want a lot of power, the F series tranny in the 1.8 FP cars isn't as strong as the G series in the later 2L FS cars.

however, the FP is a better starting point IMO, due to being a bit more rev happy, at the expense of low end torque, which it still has plenty of, again IMO.

the FP equipped cars are also lighter, which is a huge plus, because it's something like 200 lbs.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

How much torque do you think the F series tranny can take? If it'll take up to say... 200 ft-lb's, I'd be pretty satisfied. If it gets real bad, I'll just do a hp tune and leave the torque curve lower I s'pose.

The 2L's just a bored out version of the 1.8 right? Or is it stroked... at any rate, it's at least better than the 1.6 BP's. Even though they're supposedly better engines, who makes a fwd turbo kit for them? Or any parts for that matter, heh.

I think I'll aim for mazdaspeed-like characteristics, and just leave it there. Nothing crazy, but w00p some honda butt.

Comment

There are instances of the F series diff blowing with stock power output. Jason Minehart's car did exactly that 2 years ago at the Ft. Myers ProSolo.

wheel hop will KILL these trannies (F or G) quickly.
          -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

so what's the mazdaspeed use?

Comment

G series with a LSD that replaces the diff. That solves the diff issue, but the case itself is still fairly weak. It should be ok if you don't go nuts. I mean, there's plenty of guys who have turbo'd G series trannies, but just be aware if you want to bolt drag slicks on or something...
              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

The MSP LSd is very weak as far as LSD's go. It only have 2 small weld's holding it together. Alot of the MSP guys that are building for power are either replacing or re-inforcing the LSD with additional welds. Myself....staying mostly stock for now.

Comment

yea ive loved my 94 DX, had it forever, it had 96k when i bought it back in 01 now it has 136k. Awsome running car, sold my truck for a 2001 ES, Love the mazda lineup and just such great reliable cars. Buy another if u can. Any Mazda at that. Miatas are pimp too
                  Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                  Beige 1994 Protege DX
                  Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Mebbe it's just me, but I've always felt that miatas were kind of girly cars, except for the latest Mazdaspeed model, and perhaps a few kitted ones.

I think it's just the fact that my town's middle aged female mayor scoots around in a red one, ruins it for me

Comment

if you worry about a car's image, then you're not a true enthusiast.
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                      X