Removal of the front sway bar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of the front sway bar.

Can someone give me a simpler way than it seems? Everyhting in the engine bay is taken out. Rack and Pinion was loosened up. front spindles have been removed. It seems i'm gonna have to take the sub-frame off to get the damned thing off. Any help? Is this why the aftermarket front sway bars bolt on from the bottom lol.

yup...lol

gotta drop the subframe

Comment

So is it worth it for the LX anti-sway bar, or would I be better off to get an aftermarket one? I have the SE. I remember someone telling me that the SE and DX didn't come with a rear sway bar, so I took that off of the LX, but my SE bar appears identical to the LX one. I haven't taken off the SE one to actually side-by-side compare though.

I finally took off the brake upgrade stuff today. I got the rear proportioning valve, all brake assemblies, the front valve, and the master cylinder. Am I gonna need anything else? Should I get the rear brake lines also, or are they the same.

Comment

for all the trouble you have to go through to change atleats get the good after market one. save ya from going back in there later to do it

Comment

the only after market one thats easily obtainable, is the ST bar, and thats an add-on, not a replacement.

i'd say find a ZX2 front sway bar (24.5mm) if ya want a big change. I'm not sure what all the sizes are, brain freeze....

Comment

So the ST swaybar, thats the one you make right? It'll bolt on underneath IIRC. Which would be better the ST add-on, or the ZX2? Honestly i'm not that worried about it, but if I can upgrade for a decent price then i'd be willing to do it when I had the extra cash flow.

Comment

ST = Suspension Techniques. I say look for the ZX2 if you can and make sure you replace the endlinks and frame mount bushings while you're at it. Replace those with the energy suspension pieces even if you decide to use the OEM protege sway bar....should be a decent maintanance upgrade
              -------------------------
              '91 LX
              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
              -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
              well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

personally i've got the ZX2 bar.... i highly reccomend it. im also thinking about picking up the add on ST bar as well....

that will be decided after a few other suspension changes are made.

i've got a suspension package that includes
                darryl's front and rear lower tie bars.... (thank god for him making these)
                ZX2 front sway bar
                LX rear sway bar-(soon to be upgraded to a GTR 23 mm bar)
                H&R MX3 springs
                ZX2 struts
                (cusco camber plates on their way)
                POLY BUSHINGS : front LCA's, Rear sway bar bushings, front endlinks, rear trailing arms.
                3 piece adjustable front and rear strut tower bars.

my body roll is very minimal. i am very pleased so far with my setup.
                give the ZX2 bar a chance before the ST add on
                if you need more you always have the option.
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks
                  So the ST swaybar, thats the one you make right? It'll bolt on underneath IIRC. Which would be better the ST add-on, or the ZX2? Honestly i'm not that worried about it, but if I can upgrade for a decent price then i'd be willing to do it when I had the extra cash flow.
                  no, the ST bar is a sway bar, i make tie bars. they are 2 different parts.

Both are a good upgrade, they'll serve the duties well. The only drawback to the ST bar is limited ground clearance if your real low, as it installs under the OEM front sway bar. It may be overkill with the ZX2 bar AND the ST add-on bar. So i'd suggest the ST add-on with OEM LX bar or just the ZX2 sway bar.

Comment

Just a point of clarification.

Is the zx2 bar the same pain in the ass to install?
                    If forced to choose between cocky and humble, always opt for cocky.

There will be plenty of time to be humble when you're shown to be horribly, horribly wrong.

Comment

yes its still a PITA but its worth it... find a zx2 to install instead of a stock LX bar and drop the k member once and after that don't worry about it... i doubt you'll need much more than the zx2 bar. its pretty sufficient.
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Anyone have a photo of a ST sway bar add on...

puulllease
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

it's higher than Darryl's lower tie bar, if that's the question.
                          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                          -93 MR2, 129 ES
                          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

why do u have to drope the sub fram on our cars because yesterday i installed both front and rear sway bars on my friend mx6 and we did not have to remove any thing it came out pretty easy
                            sigpic gtx swap,pacesetter cat back exhaust,civic short shifter,both front and rear upper strut tower bars,high flow cat,,mx-3 lower tie bar,mx-3 front seats,zxtuner poly motor mount inserts,manual seat belt conversion,mx-3 lether shift boot,

come to mazdasnw.com if you live in the northwest

Comment

mx-6 is a totally different car.

93' 5spd DX
                              R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X