Your Next Audio Upgrade, what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Next Audio Upgrade, what is it?

I spent too much money on it already, but I am thinking of getting a large stiffening cap or a batcap as my next audio upgrade. I know people say that they don't work, but even if it just a fix to the headlight dimming, it would be worth my while. I already did every thing else--bigger battery, groundkit, proper gauge wire going to amps, Class D amp, only 900 watts RMS.

Nothing exciting I know, but I just bought Rider69's Focals and kick panels along with pimpprotege69's Soundstream amp. That is changing the entire soundstage right there! What more do you want?

Oh yeah and maybe a maxxbass if it makes a pretty big difference in the sound!
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

but i've heard that having the earth ground kit put in the car often lessens the headlight dimming, is that true? did it help u all that much?

Comment

Equalizer

Comment

CDA-9835, PXA-H701, RUX-C701. all at the same time, hopefully in the beginning of december.

mike, let me see what kind of deal my buddy will give you on one of the BIG rockford or lightning audio caps. some swear they work great. based on the math, they shouldn't drop the voltage at the amp by more than .1 volts. i want to do some testing to see if using a big cap or a total beef up of wiring will yeild the best results. if i remember correctly, the larger of the big ones from lightning/RF, the lower the ESR, so the more it actually works. i'm assuming that is because they are parallelling the smaller carbon caps inside the case. now whether or not it has any effect on the SPL or SQ is a different story, but if eliminating headlight dimming is your focus, that *should* be capable of helping that.

Comment

Originally posted by whistler
          but i've heard that having the earth ground kit put in the car often lessens the headlight dimming, is that true? did it help u all that much?

some people are swearing that it will cause more dimming. basically if you make the system more efficient, then the amp can draw more current, thus more dimming. some even say that larger power wire will cause more dimming. course all that is based on theory and math, and i'm more of a fan of real world results and in my experience, proper grounding and larger power cables have only helped.

Comment

Thanks Brian that would be great! I got your response on the hybrids and it sounds liek they would be pretty costly. I don't know if they are worth a crap, but carstereoonline has a Lanzar 5 farad cap for really cheap. It has a digital volt meter and 2 blue neon tubes built in. The only thing is that the price seems dirt cheap for something of that caliber, so it may not be worth crap.

Whistler, I did a groundkit using 4 gauge and got zero results. I rechecked them and made sure that the contacts were sanded to the metal and still no difference. I even ran a wire from the fuse box to the alternator using 4 gauge as well as from the fuse box to the battery. I used to have a stiffening cap, but either it didn't do a thing or it had crapped out (it was pretty old).

Groundkit

Comment

My next mod is going to be infinity 3 way 6x9's on the rear deck, and two way 6x8's in the kicker panels, routed to a 350 (can't remember wattage off the top of my head) watt 4 channel amp. I've already got a Polk/Momo 10" DVC in the trunk hooked up to an audiobahn 250 watt amp.

Comment

my next audio upgrade is most likely going to be a new ****in car . the awesome equipment i have now is installed, however, the wires aren't hidden, trim panels aren't all screwed down, din mounting isn't completed.. needless to say, everything is wired or installed reliably enough to insure that nothing breaks under any circumstance. needless to say, though i've never formally posted all the details:
                Pioneer DEH-9300P Head unit
                CDT Audio CL-61 components front
                CDT Audio 6 1/2 coaxials rear
                RF 551X 4 channel amp (70 x 4 @ 4 ohms)
                RF 501bd Sub Amp (birth sheet rated 623 watts @ 14.1V @ 2 ohms)
                Phoenix Gold Ti15d running at 2 ohm load in a dual 4 inch ported box, tuned to 33hz currently, swappable up to 44, 2.5 approx. cubic feet in space
                Monster Cable, Scoche, Stinger, Knuconcepts, and Metra wiring supplies (2 4 gauge runs, 1 8 gauge run, 3 sets of RCA's)

only current plans is installing the Pioneer XM tuner when i get a chance.. all said and told, i'm not happy with the install, but my car just ain't worth the bother.
                Kevin

Comment

Maybe a 30 band EQ, or Digital Din EQ. As far as dimming goes , protege just sucks for it.
                  2k4 Rally White Mazda 3 Hatchback

Sound By CDT , powered by DLS-CA23
                  Bass by Elemental Design, powered by HIFONICS

Comment

i just sourced out a guy that will cut a huge deal on stinger hybrid caps, for anyone interested. i'm waiting now on a response with the ESR ratings of each model.

i'm also waiting to see if he minds if i give out his e-mail address. PM me if interested.

Comment

I am interested. It will be a while before being able to get one, but am interested. I have to pay off the rims/amp and kick panels/Focals. The list goes on!

Groundkit

Comment

Same here, it'll be a while but I want one eventually... assuming they really are as good as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                          assuming they really are as good as they say.

testing will determine that depending on the ESR rating, they could help to eliminate headlight dimming, if that is the goal. i'm still a firm believer that they do nothing for SPL or SQ, but i'm willing to give them a shot and keep an open mind.

Comment

Cool deal. Let us know the results!

Groundkit

Comment

I got the Focals in the car now. I had to move the fuse box on the driver's side, but they look really awesome! They have a flatter response compared to the Bostons and more midrange and midbass. I am also installed the Soundstream Rubican 302 in place of the Class A 3.0 and get a little more volume out of the front speakers. I am very satisfied. The only thing is that the soundstage seems lower do to the speakers in the kickpanels and the size drivers in the kicks (4 1/2s versus 5 1/4s). Lee Jenison had Boston Neo 5T ambient tweeters in the pillars up front to lift the soundstage (in his old ES), but I would be afraid of it taking away from the Focals.

Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                              X