speaker survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker survey

What's up?? This forum is really cool, so i thought it would be neat to take a survey, to see what people think about an idea given to me be a local shop. This is a rather high end car audio shop in NJ, and the owner is really into competitions. Anyways, so the question is, does it make sense to put back speakers in your car? His suggestion was to try and mimic a home stereo as much as possible, and have only two speakers in kick panels, and maybe add a subwoofer or two to the back. What are your thoughts on this, is it good or bad, and why??

the shop owner is correct. you want as much of the sound to come from in front of you. the general philosophy is to use as little equipment as needed to achieve the best results. some will only use a 6.5" mid-bass/range driver and a tweeter up front on each side, then a sub or 2 in the rear. others prefer to use 3 sets of drivers up front, a mid-bass, a mid-range, and a tweeter. i personally prefer the 3-way setup. mid-bass drivers are usually 6.5" and fit in most stock door locations and fill out the lower frequencies. the mid-ranges are generally smaller (3"-5.25") so they take up less room in the kick panel location. they require proper aiming, since they produce most of the sound. the tweeters can either be mounted in the kick panels with the mid-ranges, or up higher, like on the A-pillars. mounting them together is preferred by many, however when done properly mounting them on the A-pillars yeilds very nice results. to make it even better, having a high cross-over point between the tweeter and mid-range helps when mounting the tweeters on the A-pillars.

that was probably more in depth than you wanted

Comment

I have 6x9s in the back but they're only used for low bass, as a set of small subwoofers, and components in the front. It sounds great this way. You still get the illusion of surround sound because of the enclosed passenger compartment, but it sounds real. Imagine a theater... the stage is in front of you but the sound reflects off the back wall.

Comment

Working...
      X