Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 mazda engine swap

i have a soch engine on my 92 mazda protege but i want to do a engine swap
    i need help cause is my fisrt car i need to know what are the parts and how much ill it cost me to do it.
    ANGEL

Which engine are you looking to swap in?

Comment

a doch engine
      ANGEL

Comment

323forward...

I think I have the user name correct.
        I f you are located in PR .. That is the person to talk to .
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

My DOHC swap cost me 50 bucks in gas to go pick the car up. It was given to me by a buddy. If you look though you can find a BP for about $200-$300. Then you need the DOHC ECU. And either get the DOHC wireing harness, or wire in a few extra wires for the VICs. I just used the DOHC harness as it was an auto and had the 4 wire TPS, and I plan on running a super afc when I boost. Also i'm not good with wiring, so it was just easier to swap harnesses. ITs not that hard took less than 15 minutes to get it done. It only took that long because I didn't wanna break any clips, which I ended up doing anyways.

So anywhere from $250-$350 I would look to spend, maybe more depending on how available the motor is around you. If you are talking about the BPT then you are looking at a whole lot more, than that. Also depending on if you wanna swap the tranny too will make a difference. The DOHC tranny has shorter gears, and is supposedly a bit stronger. You can use the 1.6 SOHC tranny which has been said to have about the same gear ratio as the 1.8 DOHC tranny, but from what people say it is also weaker.

I'm not sure what it is that is weaker on the trannies, most likely the case though.
          I haven't seen any one post anything about it in a long time.
          Last edited by Tweeaks; 11-04-2004, 09:28 AM.

Comment

So if I plan to do the same swap in my 323 I can use the DOHC BP that I bought (4 Wire TPS) and use an automatic trans harness with my manual trans?
            What my POS will soon be

Comment

"Mazdapr" Im from Puerto RIco maybe we can talk. Im going to make the same project and maybe we can talk about it.

I have some list of parts we need to make the swap, but remember bro some people here in the island sell the engines to expensive like 600$+.

My msn is elcjose@hotmail.com if you have time maybe you can add me there or send me some emails.
              '93 Protege DX 5spd'
              2" Exhaust System
              2.5" Custom Intake System
              Other minor tuning (timing, etc)

Comment

moved to swap section.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

TTT I'm probably going to do this here soon.

All I should need is the engine, wiring harness, and ECU correct? I'll swap the tranny later.

man, I hope my clutch will hold....
                  Current Cars
                  2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                  1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                  1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                  1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

Originally posted by FineWine
                    TTT I'm probably going to do this here soon.

All I should need is the engine, wiring harness, and ECU correct? I'll swap the tranny later.

man, I hope my clutch will hold....
                    atlease replace the clutch with a new stocker, mine made a career change to a dinner plate after about 2 months
                    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

haha,

well i wasn't too concerned with replacing the clutch yet because I'd replace the tranny in a few months anyway. No point in spending money on a new clutch twice.
                      Current Cars
                      2003 Nissan 350z. Touring Edition, Pike's Peak White and dark tint. Some audio work. Twin turbo swap and more audio work over the winter. Wheels and springs this winter.

Past Mazdas
                      1994 Mazda Protege DX. DOHC swap in progress. Sold due to a move
                      1992 Mazda Protege DX. BPT (GT-X) swap w. Haltech & MSD. Sold before it saw the road
                      1996 Ford Probe GT. Flawless. 5-speed. Kept stock. Sold for an LS1

Comment

yeah im trying to locate a kia tranny now

i was gonna stick it out with the F to see how long it took to gernade it but my choice in turbos made me reconsider
                        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Working...
                        X