Brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake upgrade

Okay i did the search thing first but i'm still a little confused. I planned on upgrading my front brakes in a few weeks and wasn't planning on Slotted or drilled rotors. But during my search i read that getting the rotors size and shoe from the ES would be better any comments. Driving 2001 1.6
    The 01 DX under construction

just get good pads/shoes. That's all you need.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

I beleive there is a sticky about it...you can upgrade to 99-00 ES rotors and calipers...The rotors are about 1" bigger, so I would say that it is def an upgrade...more surface area=more stopping power, and it's a fairly cheap upgrade depending on where you source the parts from

Comment

Jesse, I'm surprised you forgot to mention the tires.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by macdaddyslomo
          I beleive there is a sticky about it...you can upgrade to 99-00 ES rotors and calipers...The rotors are about 1" bigger, so I would say that it is def an upgrade...more surface area=more stopping power, and it's a fairly cheap upgrade depending on where you source the parts from
          more surface area =! more stopping power

more surface area = more thermal capacity

more thermal capacity = useless on street tires in daily driving situations

just get good pads, and make sure you have good tires.
          -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

more surface area = more bling, lol

but yeah, he's right, just get better pads, a rear disc conversion might be worth it if you have drums, depending on how much it costs you.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
              thermal capacity = useless on street tires in daily driving situations

just get good pads, and make sure you have good tires.
              and what if he drives his car hard ? I have overheated my stockers many times with a little aggressive driving.... or if he gets bigger rims ,if he doesnt already have them. those small calipers and rotors were designed for 14" rims..bigger rims=harder to get stopped

once again its a cheap upgrade...its worth it as long as you dont spend too much on the parts...find a junkyard with a 99-00 es with low miles and get the calipers there...new pads and rotors also for some reason seem to be easier to source for the es too,even though more dx/lx's were sold

Comment

Originally posted by macdaddyslomo
                and what if he drives his car hard ? I have overheated my stockers many times with a little aggressive driving.... or if he gets bigger rims ,if he doesnt already have them. those small calipers and rotors were designed for 14" rims..bigger rims=harder to get stopped

once again its a cheap upgrade...its worth it as long as you dont spend too much on the parts...find a junkyard with a 99-00 es with low miles and get the calipers there...new pads and rotors also for some reason seem to be easier to source for the es too,even though more dx/lx's were sold

did you have pad fade or fluid fade?

when was the last time you totally flushed all the brake fluid? changed pads?
                -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

you can get bigger wheels w/o increasing mass, in fact, you can reduce weight, the stockers aren't the lightest wheels on the planet ya know . . . and the overheating was due to ****ty pads or cooked fluid, not rotors, slotted/cross drilled is only for bling, technology has advanced to the point where it's unneccessary

Comment

Leila read the thread...I said nothing about cd/slotted rotors...just bigger ones.as far as lighter wheel...how much you think you need to spend to get a 17" wheel lighter than a stock steelie?..and the ES calipers are bigger too..you don't think they provide more clamping pressure??

actually Jesse I probably could use a fluid flush...forgive my ignorance here, how do you tell the difference between pad fade and fluid fade?? I just know after some hard driving the pedal gets a bit softer, plus you can feel it just doesnt want to get stopped,

btw,why the big arguement against the upgrade...if you can spend $60 on new calipers, and you need new rotors and pads anyways, you dont think it's money well spent to get 1" bigger rotors??

Comment

I was thinking about another thread with the slotted/drilled rotors thing, who said anything about specific wheel sizes? You can get lightweight 15 and 16 inch wheels at a reasonable price (less than $160 each).

Comment

pad fade = still hard pedal, car just doesn't stop
                        fluid fade = soft pedal, car still eventually stops with more pedal pressure/travel

you had fluid fade, meaning you boiled the fluid, didn't overheat the actual brakes.
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                        X