V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8

I think I've finally seen the light. Time to ditch ****ing 4-bangers forever after this turbo project.

This looks pretty cool:
    Last edited by charles; 10-01-2003, 08:14 AM.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Do yourself a favor and get a LS1 camaro, no need to f around with the lower-output 305s. My friend had a ealier 70s camaro with the 305, it was a dog.

Those LS1s are insane, though! $4k supercharger kit (maybe less) for around 500whp? Sounds good to me!
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

lol, I would expect that motor to be junk
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Fair warning: that 305 only puts out about 140 horses stock.

And that's the uggo Camaro! Go older or newer, but not those plastic-nose ones. Eww. That Firebird would make a good project, though.
        ~Mark.
        2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

man, that car can only drive in the straight line, and the interior sucks ass!
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Why does everyone think that the F-bodys are only good for straight runs? You can make them run in the twisty's with a 911 or Vette. My Camaro will do both.
            03 Protege 5
            03 Sentra SE-R
            85 IROC-Z

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
              and the interior sucks ass!
              the cars were made in the early 80's, not muched looked nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyb
                Why does everyone think that the F-bodys are only good for straight runs? You can make them run in the twisty's with a 911 or Vette. My Camaro will do both.
                1996 Pontiac Grand Am

Comment

Originally posted by 96GrandAmAED
                  Your Grand Am on the other hand....will not.

I know, I owned a Skylark when I was 16. Same car.
                  "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES
                  ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                  Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

You better start growing that mullet now j/k.

I know, I owned a Skylark when I was 16. Same car.
                    Ahhh...good ol' N-bodies. Takes a good bit-o-money to make 'em handle and brake well. I think our Calais and Achieva weighed out at 800+ lbs on the front left while less than 250 lbs on the right rear.
                    -Kevin
                    -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
                    -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
                    -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
                    -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
                    -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

That car is no "survivor"

And not worth the $2k.

I sold my '79 Camaro for $2k, but it was in FAR nicer shape than that one - nicer wheels, better tires, better paint, lots of new exterior parts (chrome stuff) and interior carpet, good stereo, and t-tops.

I bought it for $1500, probably put only $1000 into it total, and drove it like mad for 5 years. Not a bad sale for $2k at the end of it all.

That car is made up to look like a Z-28, but I don't think it is. I believe all the Z's had the 350 in them, not the 305 - but maybe things changed by the end of the model run (1982).

But I'm sure almost NO ONE who is dogging this car ever drove the 4-speed. Mine was a stick, too - and that CONSIDERABLY raised the fun-factor, even with an emissions-choked 305. I could light up the tires at will, even with only 140 horses on tap. The big, long, clunky bus-shifter and Porsche-heavy clutch were still fun.

Still - not worth the money for that example.

~HH

Comment

My dad has an 02' Z28 LS1 camaro 6 speed , fast as hell, so much torque melts them in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. It actually handles quite well too. I had an 84' Z28 before the pro, it only had a 305 150hp slow but it handled well. Oh and just in case your wondering a first gen pro DOHC will beat a 305 camaro from 0-60 but is a little slower in the 1/4

90 Mazda Protege LX 5-Speed (currently 4 sale)
                        -Mods...who care's anymore?DOHC anyone

Comment

There really is no comparison between a newer Maro and the late 70's/early 80s models.

Emissions restrictions choked everything - even the Vette was down to some ridiculously low horsepower number.

I, too, had an 84 Z28! And yes, it was the 305 v8 - but I was referring to the generation before (1970 - 1981)- that I'm pretty sure all the Z28s were 350 motors up until the 1982 model when the body style changed.

And I don't know where you got the info from, but I doubt the first gen pro would beat a 305 Camaro. My '84 was pretty fast, and my '79 wasn't too bad either with the manual tranny. Maybe with some mods, but I just can't believe that claim without some sort of proof to back it up.

~HH

Comment

Sorry for the mistake the 85' 305 high output rated a 190hp. runs 0-60 in 6.9 and the 1/4 in 15.3. I can't find the numbers on the 150hp version only the H.O. But I think the 150hp version and a 1st gen. LX would be a decent race. Oh and yeah 70-81 had 350's in them

Comment

infact here is the pic of my 84 I sold her for 2g

Comment

Working...
                              X