Efficient Amps for Subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efficient Amps for Subs

A lot of amps draw some serious current from our pathetic electrical systems, and I went on JBL's site to see how much their P600.1 draws, and it is 57 amps. I emailed SoundStream for my Class A amp to see the difference (which should be pretty significantly different). The SoundStream is in high current mode since it is running a low 1 ohm load bridged.

What are some of the most efficient Class D amps on the market? I know JL Audio has some great amps, but their damping factor greater than 500 lowers the efficiency causing some dimming of headlights in some Protege owners' cars.

I am just wondering what are some good efficient amps for driving subs since they are the ones that use up most current.

Michael
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

By the way, I know the size amp determines how much draw.

Groundkit

Comment

us acoustics are pretty efficient
      their 600 watt amp pulls 50 amps.
      jl audio 500/1 pulls 50 amps.
      Last edited by walight01; 10-01-2003, 11:36 AM.
      '02 classic red p5
      currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

does your soundstream have fuses on the amp, usually that equals your maximum current, or really close to it.
        '02 classic red p5

Comment

It has a 60 amp fuse. I am sure it pulls very close to that. It's a class A amp in "high current" when impedences are between 1 and 1/2 ohm (1/4 in stereo). The thing sucks down so much juice.

Groundkit

Comment

how many watts is it pushing?
            '02 classic red p5

Comment

The 6.0 is 600 watts RMS and I am buying Rider's JBL P600.1 amp for the subs (same power roughly) for more efficiency. I'll probably stick the 6.0 on the highs, but could also put them on the midbass and keep the 3.0 on the 5 1/4 components. Not sure right now what to do. Any suggestions? I know the 6 1/2s handle a little more power, but they wouldn't be as good as having say some eights for midbass. Also, if I keep all three amps in the car, my lights may still dim since I am running 3 versus 2, even if the JBL is more efficient and the SoundStreams would be pushing just mids and highs.

Groundkit

Comment

BTW, if I ran all 3, I would have to get a new inline fuse holder and a bigger "wafer" looking fuse instead of the cylinder one that is under the hood now.

Groundkit

Comment

you could always but another wiring kit from knu and just run another 4ga wire. the jbl should make ia difference, it willl probably pull somewhere aorund 900 watts(75% efficient) whereas the SS was probably pullling alteast 1200 watts if not more assuming that the class a amp is 50% efficient. i would definatly get some eights and run the 6.0 on it and leave the 3.0 for the components upfront, how much power would the front components recieve from the 3.0 componets?
                  '02 classic red p5

Comment

I can't afford to do any more for my car, besides, I have other things on the horizon, possible girls to ask out. Priorities first! SoundStream sucks in that they cannot provide me any numbers on how much current draw is from the battery with the 6.0 Still waiting on JBL's response, but I am sure it is very efficient because I haven't heard any complaints about lights dimming when hooked up. I guess we'll see. Just gotta get that deck from rattling.

Groundkit

Comment

On the way home and listening to my system, I probably am better off leaving the 3.0 on the highs. They are just right. The 6.0 is too much for them to handle unless I turn gains WAY down. I would have more volume, but not much more and would be straining the speakers. I guess I will take it out only for a future install when I get another vehicle which will be a long time from now. It's loud, has bass, and it shakes! It has good SQ too, so I can't beat that. Just after hearing Blue's set up, I want bass to be as loud I know at certain levels, my two 12s put out more, but overall, Blue's bass just simply kicks ass!

Groundkit

Comment

Working...
                      X