Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help!! (I'm a TOTAL newbie! =)

Hello all,

I've read many thread on this board and find them VERY interesting but none of them have been able to help me .....just because I'm really a newbie in car things. But hey...I still want to learn, but more importantly, I want some advise from all of you car audio PROS! =)

Ok to make things simple, all I want is a new player for my Mazda Protege 2001 and here are some details of what I want and also...what I don't want! =)

oh....and please bear with me, I do not know all of those "terms" used in car audio!

I don't listen to pop music nor HIP HOP but only some Metal and Punk style music but I want you to know that I LOVE music....I LIVE for it so I NEED a pretty neat sound (hear "Quality")=). (I don't know why I'm telling this but....it may impact on the choice of my system...huh!?)

Want:
    Pretty good sound! Quality!
    HEad that is able to play MP3/WMA etc...
    I was thinking of buying the Clarion DXZ845MC...I read a lot of good comments and analysis about it.
    I want 2 sets of speaker (but don't know what I need in size...I heard a lot of this board that Infinity made pretty neat ones.)
    And finally, I want to spend around 1000$.

What I don't need:
    I think I don't need and amp...or do I?
    I definitly don't need (want) a subwoofer

Well...all in all, I would like you all to help me building my new audio system that would sound the best and respond the best to my needs (I know they're not as big as a lot of you! =) and for the price stated previously (around 1000$).

Thank you everyone for having survive to the reading of my pretty long message =) and most importantly, thank you very much for helping me (a real newb) with this sooo complicated thing to me!

Again, thank you!

MindOverMatter
    Last edited by MindOverMatter; 11-05-2004, 06:44 PM.

I would look in to that or get a Pioneer DEHP7600MP which is a lot less than the Clarion and get a small Alpine amp (inexpensive, but quality built) to push a set of Infinity Kappa 6x8s and maybe get some Infinity Reference 6x9s if budget permits. You can have the head unit's amp push the rear speakers so that the front will not be affected as far as interfering with the front soundstage.
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

Comment

welcome to the board.

neat sound in your terms = sound quality in our terms

i'd also recomend checking out the alpine CDA-9830. i've heard the media xpander works great for mp3's, but have no personal experience with it, yet.

spend the majority of your money on a good set of front components and an amp to push them. whatever is left can be used for some cheaper rear speakers.

$255 for the 9830
      $118 for the MRV-R320 (80x2 amp from alpine)
      $215 for the SPX-177R they are the type X 6.5" components
      $60 for the SPS-690A they are the type S 6x9's for the rear deck.
      = $648

Buy Kolossus 8 Gauge 2 Channel Car Audio Amplifier Installation Wiring Kit made from Tinned Oxygen Free Copper. Available in Blue or Red Ultra Flex PVC

$18 for a wiring kit for the amp.

say about $30 for the HU wiring harness and an install kit.

grand total of $696, which leaves plenty left over in case you need professional installation.
      Last edited by blue LEDz; 11-06-2004, 12:14 PM.

Comment

[/QUOTE]
        $255 for the 9835
        $118 for the MRV-R320 (80x2 amp from alpine)
        $215 for the SPX-177R they are the type X 6.5" components
        $60 for the SPS-690A they are the type S 6x9's for the rear deck.
        = $648
        [/QUOTE]

If I understand you correctly, the 50$ more for the Clarion stated in my first message is not worth it compared to this Alpine head?

Also, I see that you recommend Alpine speaker...is it better to use those with the Alpine head or I could use Infinity's one .....or the quality will be the same?

Also, you recommend 6.5" for the front speaker but the one that came with the car are 6x8....will the 6.5" fit correctly?...(I know this question is stupid but I want to make sure..)

Again, Thanks a lot for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by MindOverMatter

If I understand you correctly, the 50$ more for the Clarion stated in my first message is not worth it compared to this Alpine head?

Also, I see that you recommend Alpine speaker...is it better to use those with the Alpine head or I could use Infinity's one .....or the quality will be the same?

Also, you recommend 6.5" for the front speaker but the one that came with the car are 6x8....will the 6.5" fit correctly?...(I know this question is stupid but I want to make sure..)

Again, Thanks a lot for your help!

in my price quote, that was for the CDA-9830, not the 9835. sorry for the mistype.

the clarion has it's "digital recorder". not worth a damn, IMHO. the 9830 allows for XM hook up, while the clarion offers sirrius. the alpine offers a 4 band parametric EQ, while the clarion only has 2.

i'd go with the alpine, unless you plan on using sirrius.

the reason why i recomended those particular speakers is because they are not actually alpines. they are vifa speakers with an alpine passive cross over. they are some of the best sounding speakers for the money. you could also go with a set of magnesium components from DLS or infinities. it's personal preference, but i'm confident that you would be satisfied with any of those 3, as well as at least 10 other sets that i don't feel like mentioning.

i recomended the type S from alpine for the rear because they were cheap, and people are happy with them. you could just as easily go with infinities or any other decent brand.

6.5" will fit up front, with an adapter plate. it's a very comon thing to change from an oval speaker to a round one with the use of an adapter.

Comment

Yup. What blue said.

The 6.5" Type X speakers from Alpine are component speakers. This means that the tweeter (the speaker responsible for reproducing the high frequencies) is separated from the mid-range driver, and you will have to mount it elsewhere. Just bear this in mind.

The Type S speakers blue has recommended for the rear are decent speakers. I have them in my car (had them for 2 years now), and they comlpletely satisfy the tastes of the people who ride in the back. I have set my gains in such a way that I am only able to hear the front speakers while the rear speakers still remain ON for the sake of the people who ride in the back seats.

I've had several Alpine head units, and I liked all of them. Currently I have the CDA-9835, and although it is a very nice head unit, I do not recommend it to you since you have no need for all the extra features that come with a price. You will not be disappointed with the 9830, I guarantee.

Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. We are here to help.

I have to asko though, why is it that you do NOT want a subwoofer? I listen to rock/metal most of the time and I really enjoy my subwoofer.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
              I have to asko though, why is it that you do NOT want a subwoofer? I listen to rock/metal most of the time and I really enjoy my subwoofer.

rock and metal needs a sub, imo. it's been driving me crazy not having a sub in my truck yet

Comment

Meybe he hasn't heard his music with a sub yet, and has not learned to appreciate the benefits of having a subwoofer.

Comment

could be. and his budget leaves plenty for a decent sub.

since i'm on a DLS kick, here's what i'd go with from them:

magnesium components for the fronts.
                  $220

6x9's from their mid level line.
                  $159

magnesium 10" sub with double stacked magnets.
                  $169

2 of these amps. one for the components, one for the sub.
                  $400 for both

the amps have built in high level inputs as well as automatic turn on when used with it. then use your stock HU, until you have the funds to upgrade.

course all that can be changed around. the magnesium components are hard to beat for their price. their low end 6x9's start at $79. their low end subs start at $69. and you don't *need* all that power.

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                    rock and metal needs a sub, imo. it's been driving me crazy not having a sub in my truck yet
                    That's like keeping a fish out of water.

Comment

The 6.5" Type X speakers from Alpine are component speakers. This means that the tweeter (the speaker responsible for reproducing the high frequencies) is separated from the mid-range driver, and you will have to mount it elsewhere. Just bear this in mind.
                      Just a technical question....I suppose! =) but what do you mean by to "mount it elsewhere"?

The Type S speakers blue has recommended for the rear are decent speakers. I have them in my car (had them for 2 years now), and they comlpletely satisfy the tastes of the people who ride in the back. I have set my gains in such a way that I am only able to hear the front speakers while the rear speakers still remain ON for the sake of the people who ride in the back seats.
                      Again, maybe a stupid question but if the sound is not coming also from the rear speaker...would it sound "strange" or not as good as with them playing? In other words: It looks like it would be not that good (music experience) that to have sounds only coming from my left and my right....no?

Well...I said I do not want a sub because I didn't want to blow my budget and also because I really don't know what'S the "effect" of it on MEtal and punk..but as Blue said, if it fits with my budget...be sure I'll try it!

Again thanks for your help!

Comment

Just a technical question....I suppose! =) but what do you mean by to "mount it elsewhere"?
                        you'll have to cut a hole in the door near the speaker grill, or mount the tweeter on the A-pillar or in the kick panel area. for ease of installation, i'd recomend mounting them right to the door panel.
                        i couldn't find a pic of a door panel installation. but all you got to do is cut a hole above the mid very close to it.
                        kick panel location:

Again, maybe a stupid question but if the sound is not coming also from the rear speaker...would it sound "strange" or not as good as with them playing? In other words: It looks like it would be not that good (music experience) that to have sounds only coming from my left and my right....no?
                        in your music experience, have you ever gone to a concert and faced away from the stage? the rears are only really needed if you have passengers back there, or if you put in a DVD player and want surround sound.

Well...I said I do not want a sub because I didn't want to blow my budget and also because I really don't know what'S the "effect" of it on MEtal and punk..but as Blue said, if it fits with my budget...be sure I'll try it!

Again thanks for your help!
                        once you feel the hit of the sub for metal and punk, you'll never go back

Comment

here's some new, lower budget suggestions:

magnesium components.
                          $220

basic 6x9's.
                          $99

CA31 amp. it's a 3 channel amp.
                          last years model was $229

heres the full DLS index.

the 9830 from my previous post.
                          $255

different wiring kit from previous post.
                          $36

resonant engineering RE 12.
                          $69 on the lower nav bar click products. then click subs on right nav bar. then click RE. it's a very capable sub for only $69.

subzone enclosure.
                          $50

all that puts you at $958. that leaves a little left over to cover shipping cost

Comment

If I could handle the price for the Alpine 9835 would it be better? and does the rest of the "set" would change? I mean will the amp and the front speaker will be enough to handle the quality of the 9835....or it's only a waste of money?

Again, thank you....I just can't wait for the time I'll be ready to buy everything and finalize my project and enjoy my new system!

Thanks

Comment

the 9835 won't sound any different. it adds 1 more band of parametric EQ, higher power output (not needed when using an amp), and the biolite display. everything else you don't need to worry about. if you are wanting something more than the 9830, the 9833 would be the one i'd recomend for you.

the amps and speakers recomended are all high quality, so no worries there.

Comment

Working...
                              X