Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bronzeoil shifter bushings (1st gen)

Well... I figured we needed something in this section

I bought myself some bronzeoil shifter bushings from Cork Sport a few weeks ago, my shifter was uber-sloppy and it was getting to me. The install is pretty self explanatory, there is no "give" to these bushings (they're metal) so the bolts that hold them in place may need a little "massaging" before they'll slide through.

Before: Very vague shifter feel, could move the shifter left/right when in gear about 6 inches back and forth.

After: Very tight, no more play (well maybe a couple millimeters)... an amazing improvement.

IMVHO... buy these bushings, not from Cork Sport necessarily, but buy them! They are well worth the $34+shipping if your shifter is as sloppy as mine was. While you're doing the bushing i'd recommend changing your tranny-oil... you're tranny will thank you and it'll multiply the gains felt from the bushings.

'90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

aren't they supposedly self lubricating or something?

otherwise you would think they would rust into place?

did you have to lubricate them?

where else other than corksport can you get them?
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
      aren't they supposedly self lubricating or something?

Yes, that's where oil in bronzeoil comes from. The bushings are machined from a special alloy (Bronzoil) containing oil molecules for self-lubrification (oil is released as bushing wears). Machined to much closer tolerances than the original ones, these bushings will provide more positive shifts and will eliminate sluggishness at the expense of a bit more vibration on the shift lever. Another key advantage is the self-lubrication that provides year-round reliability.

nope.

where else other than corksport can you get them?

they cost the same but shipping may be cheaper.
      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

I talked with SRD (the guy who makes 'em) and he said that putting some lithium grease is a good idea. That's what I did. Bronzeoil (which is probably brass) won't rust or corrode like steel. At least that's what he told me.

Oh and, nice product, heavily recommanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Maz1.8T
          I talked with SRD (the guy who makes 'em) and he said that putting some lithium grease is a good idea. That's what I did. Bronzeoil (which is probably brass) won't rust or corrode like steel. At least that's what he told me.

Oh and, nice product, heavily recommanded.

Lithium grease is probably a good idea, it would probably make assembly a little easier as well
          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Good stuff.

BTW, anybody else notice thats a Canadian parts breakdown diagram?

notice the fliptop lid thingy in the center console.

Comment

thing is brass as well as any other metal does corrode over time... brass tarnishes....
              Stainless steel does as well... i was thinking why not machine on a lathe some bushings made of stainless steel ... amybe a new set that will work with the pacesetter shortthrow shifter assembly. stick some real good grease on them and care not about the vibration.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

thing is brass as well as any other metal does corrode over time... brass tarnishes....
                Stainless steel does as well... i was thinking why not machine on a lathe some bushings made of stainless steel ... amybe a new set that will work with the pacesetter shortthrow shifter assembly. stick some real good grease on them and care not about the vibration.
                All true ...

Where I used to work we had nylon with oil in it. It was called Nyloil. It was pretty stiff and you could machine it just like steel. It wasn't very expensive either. We used to make bushings out of it to put in all the control rods of a helicopter.

They do not corrode, they just won't wear out with friction, you really have to machine 'em. Trust me on that one, I tried to sand it down once to straighten a flat bar of this material and it would barely wear down. I had to mill it. Finally they are feather light. I'm 99% sure they would do GREAT bushings.

Comment

you should look into getting some of that material.... it would be nothing to have a group buy of that material made.

Comment

you should look into getting some of that material.... it would be nothing to have a group buy of that material made.
                    Yeah it's something that could be done. But it would have to be tested before just to make sure it works okay. I'm 99.9% confidant it would work out great but I'd rather test it before selling 50 sets of bushings.

The material is easily accessible... pretty common. It is used as wear pads on boom trucks and also to make pulleys for cranes on boats where the environment is very corrosive (sea = salt).

I have a friend that has acces to materials and CNC's that is looking for projects right now. I will talk with him and see if there's something to do.

Alright?

Comment

sounds good!

Comment

that sounds more than good... the more non corrosive items we have the better...

too bad poly and salt go not to well together. how hard is the material?

give it a shot man... we are behind you on this

Comment

Awesome! If there were a group-buy on those i'm sure there'd be excellent support. My g/f is getting an LX so if you need a guinea pig you can send me some prototype bushings and i'd be happy to install them in her car

I found this with google...
                          Last edited by lscrx; 11-09-2004, 08:58 PM. Reason: found some more info...
                          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

how hard is the material?
                            Well it's not as hard as any metal part but it's FAR more harder than the stock bushings. You wont mark it with your fingernail but maybe with a sharp pointy metal object. It's kinda like hard plastic, only much stonger. And the fiction coefficient if very low which means it will smoothly 'slide' with the shifter bolt.

Awesome! If there were a group-buy on those i'm sure there'd be excellent support. My g/f is getting an LX so if you need a guinea pig you can send me some prototype bushings and i'd be happy to install them in her car

I found this with google...
                            http://www.castnylon.com/pubs/nyoil.pdf
                            I'll try the bushings myself... I drive 745 miles to work each week so I'll be a good test mule!

Interesting document ... seen the application list?? Gears, bearing, bushings, pulleys, cams, guides, wear pads, telescoping boom wear pads, valve seats, wear rings, seals, wheels, rubbing blocks, conveyor wheels, wear rails, sheaves, wear shoes .... I guess our little shifter bushings won't suffer much. lol

It's a very interesting material... I did my final college project/research on making engine pulleys out of this material (one with no oil for belt traction) and it was 3 times lighter than aluminum, non corrosive, cheaper than aluminum and easier to machine.

Comment

Need your help guys... anyone has precise measurements of the bushings?? Like .xxx precision? I don't want to remove my bronzeoil bushings.

Comment

Working...
                              X