Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who makes mazda brake calipers/pads/rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes mazda brake calipers/pads/rotors?

I kno for some things mazda has external suppliers... like koito for lights, and NGK for plugs and what not

who makes our brake parts?

my reason for asking is because I want an OEM quality party, but I dont want to pay what the dealership wants me to pay.

I am upgrading to the ES front brakes, and I need new calipers, but I dont want autozone/canadian tire calipers unless they're going to be the same part as OEM

does anyone know?

Unfortunately, calipers are not something you will be able to find cheap, especially for ES (LX in Canada) model. You have to realize that other than OEM that you might (sometimes) get at the dealer, you will not find a good quality replacement. I mean, a typical knock-off will do. It has to be installed properly, and be properly maintained over time. You could be even lucky to find one new, as most places try to sell the re-build ones, i.e. lower price. Lastly, ES models made up only 12% of all 2nd gens sold in the States, but you might have more luck in Canada, as plenty LXs were sold there.

Goodluck.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

that explain why I'm the only ES I've ever seen . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
        that explain why I'm the only ES I've ever seen . . .
        I have seen less than a handful myself! It makes me feel so sad every time I see one.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

Not me, because every time I see one . . . she's mine! lol, seeing my car makes me happy, since it doesn't happen every day anymore.

Comment

You know that you can run a set of 1st gen spindles with the 1st gen calipers and rotors right.
            You just have to get them from a LX 1992 - 1994 protege.

I have the front rotors from Braden's 1st gen along with his calipers.

If you want to order them from the dealer ...
            try

Maybe you can get a deal on the rotors through them, maybe calipers also.
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
              You know that you can run a set of 1st gen spindles with the 1st gen calipers and rotors right.
              You just have to get them from a LX 1992 - 1994 protege.

I have the front rotors from Braden's 1st gen along with his calipers.

If you want to order them from the dealer ...
              try

Maybe you can get a deal on the rotors through them, maybe calipers also.
              thanks bruce

i went to the dealership to compare prices (in cdn dollars) but rotors from there are 88.00 and the calipers are 288.00 EACH

plus pads plus tax, thats a bit under 1000.00 in parts alone

then i went on to canadian tire, there the "premium" rotors are 55.00 and the calipers are 58.00 each, if i give them my old set

i really wanted OEM parts, but i mean... 300 per caliper is definately too much
              the parts from canadian tire are the brand Fenco.

I am pressed for time, I dont think the current brakes are going to last long enough for me to find a scrapped ES protege, or to order from mazdaformance.com

what do you guys think i should do, try and wait and see what i could get from mazdaformance.com, or go with the fenco stuff....?

advice?
              thanks

p.s. i have to do it tomorrow, its the only chance where i got a few hours off and i dont think the brakes are going to make much more highway drives back home... the rotors are warped and possibly cracked... and the pads are hitting the wear indicators for the last 500 kms.... and i know from before that the sliders in the caipers are seized...
              i could fix the 1.5L calipers if i really wanted to, but i dont
              i want the slightly larger 1.8L brakes

what should i do?
              i need to know by 6:00 am in the morning, so if you're going to post... please do so asap
              thanks again

- chris

Comment

If you want to find parts from a scrapped LX/ES there was one identical to my car in a tiny assed yard in Allanburg (south of thorold) It might have what you want if they've still got it there. I saw it probably back in like July.DOn't know the name of number offhand but I can look it up if you want.
                Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

If you're looking for some good pads, I'm quite satisfied with my KVRs on the front. Though they were like 80 bucks compared to the "premium" pads I picked up before from the Automotive Whorehouse a year before that which were like 40 something I think.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I got Carbotech Panther pads just put on in the front, and those make a huge difference. Plus it was fun bedding them down
                    My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

sumitomo is the brand?

i actually have access to that manufacturer...
                      thanks

and thank you guys for your input
                      I have tried the KVR stuff, i've had about 4 sets of their pads and they work great
                      right now i just have generic brand pads because i didnt have time to order anything, i had to take what is in stock

but i got ES calipers and rotors and pads.... when these pads wear out i'll continue with the KVR stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                        sumitomo
                        are you saying sumitomo is the brand that does the OEM brakes for mazda?

or are you saying that they are your preferred brand?

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
                          sumitomo is the brand?

i actually have access to that manufacturer...
                          thanks

and thank you guys for your input
                          I have tried the KVR stuff, i've had about 4 sets of their pads and they work great
                          right now i just have generic brand pads because i didnt have time to order anything, i had to take what is in stock

but i got ES calipers and rotors and pads.... when these pads wear out i'll continue with the KVR stuff
                          I was considering ordering some hawk pads, for the rear of the protege. I need pads in the back. As for the front. Well I am not gonna change those, cause I still need to swap the hubs and install new bearings and tie rods. More $$$. lol

Oh yeah , yes I believe TheMan was trying to answer the main question with his response.
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                          X