bass sounds like ass with rear deck rattling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bass sounds like ass with rear deck rattling

Now that I have the new box in that Blue made me, I have some minor tweaking, but **** that rear deck rattles. It seemed like it wasn't as noticeable before, but then again, this is a ported versus a sealed box. Now the **** rattles so much that it takes away from the bass! I want to take the **** out, but at the same time want my car to look good for when going out on dates I know there have been posts before, but what do you guys do to get the rattle out? I don't have a third brake light inside the car. I think the 2001 and up with the tail doesn't have the inside one too like on some of the '99-'00 that I notice. Maybe I just need some EDead or whatever that stuff is called or weather stripping (ghetto style and budget) Who cares, as long as no one sees it and it does the job!

thanks in advanced
    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
    Groundkit

definatly get some edead, esp for the panels that move. do you entire trunk, trunk lit, trunk walls and probably rear deck. Honestly i would do the whole car but you budget might not allow for it. you could always rip out the rear deck and do a fiberglass layer over it for the eights
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Definatley use some deadening and possibly build a new rear deck out of some nice 1" wood.

Comment

drill holes and bolt it down or take it off and edead it, along with the metal and strategically put weather stripping wherever the cover meets the metal and where the cover meets the glass

Comment

DUUUDDEE!!! ASTROTURF/CARPETTING!!! heh, rip out the old dash backing and instert some deadener, mask off your back window.. fold your seats down, spray 3M adhesive spray and lay down color matched carpeting to your back dash. that should kill ALOT of noise . or just rip the thing out like blue did for a while (probably still does?) i don't know. good luck
          peace

Comment

no need to waste money and alot of effort. just turn up the stero and find the exact locations of the rattling and either affix that area more securely so it doesnt rattle, or add something like dynamat. or both. either way the end result is the same - you get rid of the rattle and save some time/money
            Tag Team

Comment

I can't afford to Dynamat the trunk and rear deck! I am barely making it as it is. I was just wondering if there is a good remedy to keep it under control so that the bass doesn't sound bad when it hits hard. It doesn't sound bad with most music, but if I have the urge to show it off, it will sound like ass with the rear deck rattling away! I would do what Demonvictus suggested, but then the carpet would conform to the holes of the speakers and such. Otherwise, I would consider it as a remedy to the vibrations. :p:

Groundkit

Comment

weather stripping can't get any cheaper, and it'll work great

Comment

I have a double adhesive tape that is basically styrafoam(spelling) material. I don't have much of it, so what do you recommend? Which are the worst areas, around windows? Also, is there a tutorial (I remember seeing something on protegeclub) on how to remove rear deck? :p: This has been a ****ty week. Today sucked at work and found out I have competition for this girl I like and have not seen all week to ask her out, had to go back to drug store because they supplied me with a half months supply of meds by accident (I went back last night after picking up and they just closed), and still waiting on doctor to call my insurance to have some pain meds approved so I can get my $80 reimbursed (from my hernia surgery way back when). Sorry guys, I just have to vent. I didn't have time to call doctor's office because of being in a CPR recertification class and on top of that, got a 15 minute lunch break instead of the usual hour one I just wished this girl worked tomorrow so I could ask her out. She works in a different deptmnt, so I hardly see her, and she is off tomorrow! Just got to beat the guy to the punch!

Groundkit

Comment

The rear deck is very easy to remove. First fold down the rear seats and you will see 5 snaps. To remove them pull out the center then they come right out. Now there are 4 things holding the top of it in place. One in each corner. All you have to do is pull up on it until they pop out.

99-00 might be a little bit different but I have never looked at one so I couldn't tell you.
                    02 Protege ES

Comment

Cool and thanks. Mine is a 2001, so it should be the same as yours. I'll have to take it out this weekend or even tomorrow!

Groundkit

Comment

i'm telling you, the carpet isn't for reducing rattling, basically, it removes the one key component that can induce rattling.. the rear deck piece! by replacing it with carpet, you get the same look, only maybe not as 'flat' looking, and can easily be cut to form. and you don't have to use something heavy like household carpet, they have carpet with a lighter backing specifically for automotive use. they EVEN have one with a matting that won't look like you wrapped up your bathroom rug and threw it on the back dash... in effect, won't look like you installed shag carpetting onto your back dash :p: trust me, go to the junkyard and rip out some carpet from an older car that matches the color you need, or go to pepboys and find it. hell, even carpet stores or possibly even home depot could carry a low pile carpet for your specific use. you're just as quick to write it off, but seriously, look out there for whats available before writting my idea off. and if all of this is out of your range, tacking self tapping sheet metal screws through the edges of your back dash into the sheet metal on your dash. it works, and it's low cost
                        peace

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                          I can't afford to Dynamat the trunk and rear deck! I am barely making it as it is. I was just wondering if there is a good remedy to keep it under control so that the bass doesn't sound bad when it hits hard. It doesn't sound bad with most music, but if I have the urge to show it off, it will sound like ass with the rear deck rattling away! I would do what Demonvictus suggested, but then the carpet would conform to the holes of the speakers and such. Otherwise, I would consider it as a remedy to the vibrations. :p:
                          you dont have to dynamat the entire rear deck. like i said, just locate the source of the rattle and dynamat that section.
                          13 dollars gets 2 10"x10" squares of dynamat
                          Tag Team

Comment

$20 dollars in most locales actually for their door kit, which includes the 10x10 pieces, but even at that, just do the circumferance around your rear dash speakers and mount the speakers directly to the sheetmetal. thats what i did, and i get amazing bass response.
                            peace

Comment

i think he is saying he can't afford 13 bucks, wether stripping does sound the best in your case. you can get alow at walmart for like 1.50
                              '02 classic red p5
                              currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Working...
                              X