Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ES Front Brake Swap

Hello all,

Well as you should know from previous posts, I was looking into the ES brake swap into my SE.

In the FAQ it says that the calipers/rotors/pads are all thats needed to do the front, so that was my plan of attack.
    When I recieved the parts, it seemed like it would work, however... the part that the caliper bolts to, also needs to be changed... i believe thats called the spindle?? <--- terminology could be wrong

None the less, it appears that it could be done without the spindle, but when one tries to mount it, either the caliper will not mount, or if I manipulate it enough to make the caliper mount, the rotor will not mount flush

Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know this incase you were thinking of doing it.
    You need the spindle from a 4 wheel disc car in order to make this swap possible.

I did however use the 1.5L rotors, with the new ES pads and calipers, and it did mount and work.
    I will have to get the spindle, and then I will redo it with the ES rotors.

The brakes are still being bedded in so I did not do any hard stops, however I wouldnt be able to give an accurate description on how much this swap improved, because the old calipes had seized sliders and the car didnt stop well at all

Here are some pics.
    I am returning back to non cross drilled rotors (OEM)

I purchased those rotors 3 years ago thinking that they did something, however research and debate has proven that they actually are not increasing my braking performance.

So back to solid vented rotors. (well the cross drilled are currently back on because the ES rotors done fit without the spindle... but you know what i mean

anyways, he's a pic so you guys could see.
    peace

- chris
    Attached Files

That's good to know. Post pics when you do the conversion.

Comment

well, i have the calipers on the car right now... just not the rotors

i prolly wont have the rotors on till the summer
      i cant really afford and dont have time to go find spindles at the moment

when i do the spindle, i'll finish off the conversion with the rear discs, and i'll post pics of that!!

Comment

I know this is for 3rd gens, but it may help some people out:

Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

What the heck.. ? lol

You could have saved yourself a lot of time if you emailed me.
          I already tried putting the ES calipers and rotors on the DX spindle and that did not work. I think I posted it in one of your posts, but I am not sure.

You definetly need the ES spindle, or a 1st gen protege lx (DOHC) spindle.
          I need to get a set of spindles also, but I have been to wraped up in to much other crap that my protege needs.

Bruce
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
            What the heck.. ? lol

You could have saved yourself a lot of time if you emailed me.
            I already tried putting the ES calipers and rotors on the DX spindle and that did not work. I think I posted it in one of your posts, but I am not sure.

You definetly need the ES spindle, or a 1st gen protege lx (DOHC) spindle.
            I need to get a set of spindles also, but I have been to wraped up in to much other crap that my protege needs.

Bruce
            lol, i think you told me thats what you did, but I thought you just did it cause you had the spindle.... i didnt know it was necessary
            i dunno what the hell i was thinking, now that i re-think my logic, it is rather stupid
            lol

oh well, now i got the es front calipers and pads mounted on dx rotors... lol
            i'll fix that up in the summer time with the spindle and the rear disc swap

for now i gotta focus the $$ on rebuliding that BP

Comment

i love my factory 4 wheel disc . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                i love my factory 4 wheel disc . . .
                you whore... :p: j/k

Comment

damn skippy, I'm part of the elite 12% dammit!

Comment

12% of 2nd gen owners are whores!!

Comment

YES!!!!! I'm damn proud about it too, lol. Her window is fixed, that was a 3 hour ordeal. . . but it's all better now

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                        you whore... :p: j/k
                        Yeah, you whore! And I am not kidding
                        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

you're just jealous

Comment

I wonder what the weight difference is between the ES and the DX ...

I weight my DX with 1.8 and rear discs and it weight in at 2470 and 2700 with me in the car.

that's not bad.. If I or the car could loose 70 lbs. That would be great.
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

so what is the differences between the two models?

gauge cluster
                              rear sway bar
                              BP
                              4 wheel disc

is that all??

Comment

Working...
                              X