Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 * 10" and 2 * 12"

i have 2 10" PGs in my car, now.
    I wanna go out 'n pick up 2 * 12" to add to the package.. i don't look for loud, but for multiple quality.
    i listen to really fast music 160bpm+, so can't go too big.. but my 10s aren't giving me the rumble i want...

i only got a RF 500bd powering the 2 10s (QX10s)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

don't do it. It will take up too much room and the sound would be off between the two sets. Just get some good 10s that will hit low enough. As in:

Comment

Re: 2 * 10" and 2 * 12"

Originally posted by Lil Freek
      i have 2 10" PGs in my car, now.
      I wanna go out 'n pick up 2 * 12" to add to the package.. i don't look for loud, but for multiple quality.
      i listen to really fast music 160bpm+, so can't go too big.. but my 10s aren't giving me the rumble i want...

i only got a RF 500bd powering the 2 10s (QX10s)
      thats probably not enough power form them anyways. also what type of enclosure are your 10's in? BTW 160 BPM isn't really that fast i did some death metal recording at school and it was around 230. sounded like crap and gave me a migrane, they weren't making music, they were making sound, just really fast.
      '02 classic red p5
      currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider69
        don't do it. It will take up too much room and the sound would be off between the two sets. Just get some good 10s that will hit low enough. As in:
        http://edesignaudio.com/ep2/10k.htm

^^^what he said:p: no need to get more subs, just get better ones with more power is it low or high bass that you listen to? sealed might be better, but a ported box acts like a sealed box over the tuned frequency, but pounds like hell near it

EDIT:
        i just looked at the PG subs:

wow, the K-series subs will blow those away your subs have a weak motor structure, small magnet, and tiny excursion at only 5.5 mm not to mention low power handling. the k-series subs have superior motor structures, 3 year warranty, much more even response, better low bass reproduction, and almost 3 times the excursion i'd personally go with 2 of the k-series 10's, and get a second 500bd here's a link to the subs:

and here's a link to a group buy that i'm doing on the same subs:
        Last edited by blue LEDz; 10-02-2003, 02:37 PM.

Comment

dammit..
          i got that 500bd on a really good deal (340CDN = 250US)
          i don't think i'll find another for that cheap...

i don't need my car to be exceptionally bassy.. just nicer.... ie. i don't wanna have to buy another amp.. just get my bang for my buck for the one that I have.

the music i listen to is called Jungle and Ragga...
          i on occasion will listen to hardcore/speedcore (200bpm-400+bpm)... (want an idea, get something from Nasenbluten)

Jungle and ragga are both low and high bass... so i need something that can easily power out both... preferably more power to the low, though..

i have to save money for alot of body/engine work... so that needs to be taken into consideration

RB springs
          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

my bad.. i missed one of your Qs..
            I have a Bandpass enclosure

---
            please note.. i got all the equip outta my brother's car, so i'm just trying to learn and make the proper upgrades.

RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

my bad.. i missed one of your Qs..
              I have a Bandpass enclosure

---
              please note.. i got all the equip outta my brother's car, so i'm just trying to learn and make the proper upgrades.

ugh, the typical 4th order bandpass that only sounds good from 45-60hz i personally love ported boxes, but they have to be tuned low. definitely get one K-series 10, since it's a far superior sub to the ones you have now. and ditch the BP box. bandpass boxes have to be properly designed for the sub, the car, and the amplifier power in order for them to truely work. trust me, i've done extensive research and building to know this if you don't have the ability, or you don't know anyone who can build a box for you, get a sealed box for the K series sub. it will still perform great, but it won't drop as low, or as loud as a ported box, but it will drop better than the bandpass, and sound better in the mid bass region also with either box, your 500 bd will work fine on one sub. you'll need to get the dual voice coil sub. it has two 4 ohm voice coils, which will be wired in parallel, which is how you have your subs, just with 2 subs, rather than one that gives you a 2 ohm load, so you get the most power out of your amp

Comment

since i'm still an audio-dummy... could you post a link to explain the difference in boxes..
                like i've seen pics 'n stuff of lots of boxes... but i've never actually inquired to what they were and how they worked.
                i would like to get like 2 subs and a JBL 600.1 (from what i've read, it's really good) in some amount of time.
                (best buy better hire my sorry ass, i need discounts!)

RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

since i'm still an audio-dummy... could you post a link to explain the difference in boxes..
                  (best buy better hire my sorry ass, i need discounts!)
                  First off, you got to start some where, so you aren't a dummy. You have come to a good place to ask and you can check one site (although not a general good info, it will give you insight) www.soundstream.com and click on owner's manuals (for their subs) and then box building. It will have three kinds: Ported, bandpass, and sealed and give you a brief description of what it is ideal for and give you some nice curves to look at. A sealed is best overall sound quality box. The ported will give you a steeper curve, giving you more bass, but may make it sound more boomy. The bandpass just plays a narrow range of bass, but does so with a steeper curve producing more bass at specifically tuned frequencies. I have always went with sealed, but they do require more power to drive them than the other two. I just recently (as in yesterday) went with a ported design which sounds louder than the sealed and requires less power. It has to be built to the manufacturers specifications or by some one who knows how to build boxes well or the subs will sound like ****. For example, my old SoundStream SPL12s went from a custom sealed box (that hit hard) to a bandpass (which was a prefab one and not built to the sub's specifications) and it sounded like ass.

As for working at Best Buy and saving money, better think again! :p: I worked at a local shop and got **** on dealer accomodation (prices are better than prices at cost for the store that some manufacturers give their vendors so that people like us will buy their ****, install it, and show if off to others who will want the same ****, although they can't get it at the price that you got it for). I spent more money once I got a job there on home and car audio than ever before. Plus you see the latest and greatest **** as it comes in making you want to spend more.
                  2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                  KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                  Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                  Groundkit

Comment

that RF amp you have is plenty good. no need to get the jbl amp, even though they are great amps the K-series sub will blow away any sub best buy carries, except maybe the MOFO from power acoustik, which i have owned and the mofo won't sound as good as the ED sub, though.
                    here's info on boxes:

Comment

wikkid.
                      so would 1 of the k-series be more powerful than the 2 PG i have?

as for best buy.. i'd work in the comp tech area (my speciality)... i don't know enough 'bout cars 'n audio to work in any specialty shop.. esp. not in my weak-ass city

RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

wikkid.
                        so would 1 of the k-series be more powerful than the 2 PG i have?

as for best buy.. i'd work in the comp tech area (my speciality)... i don't know enough 'bout cars 'n audio to work in any specialty shop.. esp. not in my weak-ass city

the K-series displaces 50% more air than your set of PG's every time you double your displacement, you go up 6 dB's. so you'll get a 3 dB gain, if it's installed in the same enclosure. the downside to a bandpass box like you have, is that it's loud for the pass band frequencies, but sucks outside of it. so the K-series sub in a sealed box will be louder above where the BP drops off at, but the band pass will do better for the low freq's, if it's conservatively tuned. but the ported will be better over all the freq's, if you use the design on ED's website, which is tuned nice and low for better sound that will outperform the BP you have now, except possibly in the pass band area.

Comment

he could always get a single 12, little more displacement, maybe a db louder.
                          '02 classic red p5
                          currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

lol, I worked at Circuit City and probably spent more at that store than I did the whole time I was working there. Bad credit card! Bad 5000 dollar limit!

Although I do like my Onkyo surround sound. You'll never save money when there's stuff around you to spend it on.

Comment

Well... i'm down to 1 sub, now.
                              HAHAHAHAHA... gonna hit up best buy and see if i can find anything there worth my money.
                              if not.... may end up joining that group buy...

RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Working...
                              X