turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo?

i've thought about turboing my SOHC before, and now i'm geting a little more serious about some engine mods. Is this a cost effective way of getting more power? I KNOW it's been done before, and have read many discussions on whether it's a better idea to put the money in and get some power out of an SOHC, or to do the swap. If the turbo is the way to go, where can i obtain one?
    all help is appreciated

thanks

Move this to the correct section. No, its not worth it to turbo the SOHC, get the DOHC or a GTX.
    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

anyone have any HELPFUL advice?

Comment

I am not trying to be an ass, but thats about as helpful as I can be. I have seen turboed SOHC's, but if you think about it, the DOHC has alot more potential and a better after market than your motor does. You would need some kind of a custom manifold, then that manifold has to mate to the turbo. IMO its alot eaiser to buy a GTX and swap it in, or find a BP and turbo that.
        BP-05 Turbo-Sold
        2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

How about turboing a B6? (i dont have an option to buy a BP)
          One day you are born,
          The next big milestone
          you discover go zoom-zoom
          you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

Why not finding a B6T? I'd check out www.mazda323performance.com for more info on the B6.
            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
            '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
            '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
            '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

It's been done before and if you want to do it, go ahead it could be done; but the results that a sohc turbo would yield wont be satisfactory thinking about all the money that you had to spend to turbo it (Properly). A BP engine its not really hard to swap, A LOT of people have done it so if you were to need help with the swap you will not have a problem trying to fixing it. A DOHC Head swap would be another option if you dont want to swap the whole engine, thats what im doing.
              See, the thing is that the B8 wasnt meant for boost, yes it could take some but if you had 2 engines, a BP and a B8 and you turbocharged both of them spending the same a mount of money; everybody here knows that the BP would win on Power and Reliability, so why dont you just save a little more money and swap a bp or do a dohc head swap? Im sure you will thank all of the people that told you to boost the BP instead of the ol' economy gas saver B8 engine.
              Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
              you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

little more...

Hey, thanks a lot for the posts guys, it appears that my best option is to upgrade my motor. Could you perhaps give me a little more info on swapping just the heads?

thanks

Comment

am i basically converting it to a dohc in doing this?

Comment

Yes. Save yourself the trouble and just get a true BP. Thank me later.
                    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Working...
                    X