Do Hawk HPS front pads come with shims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Hawk HPS front pads come with shims?

Hi, I just got some Hawk HPS pads from tireack.com and the front set didn't come with any shims, but the rear set did. Did they just forget them, or am I supposed to re-use my current shims for the front pads? I guess I could just go to the dealer and get new ones...

--Ferdi
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

I would just re-use your current ones unless they are messed up or look like they are going to fall apart if used.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I don't remember if mine came with them or not...probably not cause i don't use any now and my old ones where toast. I used a real goopy disc brake quiet, it's in a small orange bottle. NEVER had ANY issues with squeeking since.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
        I don't remember if mine came with them or not...probably not cause i don't use any now and my old ones where toast. I used a real goopy disc brake quiet, it's in a small orange bottle. NEVER had ANY issues with squeeking since.
        Yeah, I have some of that orange stuff too? Where do you put it though? Do you just put it wherever the pads touch the caliper/piston on both sides?

--Ferdi
        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
        -----
        Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
        Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
        Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

i've never quite understood how adding some goopy stuff can' make the brake pads not squeak.. .anyone care to explain that? i've never used the goop stuff with my pads and haven't had a problem
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

yes, apply to pad where piston touches and apply to caliper piston area.

the goop holds the pad tight in place, so it can't move. The squealing you hear is most often is the pads chattering or loose in a floating caliper design like ours. The goop is like a really sticky shim. When used right and adjusted right, the shims do their job. The pad can still shift under the shim and squeal if it sits a little loose.

The reason mine where shot to hell, is that when i first started autoxing, i didn't really go through a full brake re-adjustment, and they where a little loose, casue the shims end up poking them selves iout and into the rotor...lol Too many hard stop and gos shifted the shims right out from under the pads... so that is why i prefer the goop now Plus my brakes have since been adjusted properly too

Comment

thanks for bringing me up to date
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

no pads I know of come with shims.......I dunno
                93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Working...
                X