Time to Upgrade the MP3 Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Upgrade the MP3 Audio

I tried to force myself to like the stock Kenwood everything in the MP3. I can no longer put up with the horrible quality of all the speakers and complete lack of bass. I am going to replace EVERYTHING.

My choice on the HU so far is looking like a JVC unit. I had the Digifine unit in my 2000 and absolutely loved it. I was incredibly disappointed with the Alpine unit I swapped it for. I can't remember which model, Martin can verify, but I believe I had the 9815. The HU catching my eye right now is the JVC KD-AR5000. I'll attach a picture at the bottom of this post. It is going on ebay for around $250 which looks like a pretty good deal.

The components which I like right now are the Alpine Type X's. I hear you guys throw around the name Boston Acoustics alot. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on components. But if you know of a set around the price of the Alpine Type X's I am open to suggestions.

For the rear 6x9's I may very well go with some Boston Acoustics or Type R's. Still haven't decided yet.

Now this is the part which confuses me and I know the least about. I have never amped my components and I have a feeling I don't know what I am missing out on. If I buy a 4 channel amp can I amp my front components and then bridge the other channels to a 10" sub. I don't care about being to hit extremely hard, I just want some bass to fill out the sound. I loved my 10" Type R's so much that I may get another one, that or the ED subs. Not sure which ED is best for me though.

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but this will give us all a chance to discuss audio systems once again. I know we had some great information discussed when I built my last system.

Here is a picture of the JVC HU I like.

Also, what is everybody's opinion on this Alpine V12 amp.

Comment

There are sweet deals on the ED stuff now. Combo deals. Everything is in stock and shipping, so head on to www.edesignaudio.com and investigate.

I don't mean to sound like an ED salesman, but I don't think anything can beat their bang/buck ratio. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Comment

Yeah I checked out their site last night and the prices looked pretty damn good. Hopefully I can get started on all of this after X-mas. First I have to pay off my wheels, then springs, brakes, rabble rabble rabble.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
          Also, what is everybody's opinion on this Alpine V12 amp.
          My opinion is that it's a very nice amp, but it's also quite expensive. If you think you can spend the money, go for it.

BTW, yes you're old HU was a CDA-9815.

Comment

I would never pay $500 for it, but it is going on Ebay for around $300 shipped. I love Alpine V12 amps, my friend has been running one with the 10" Type R's I sold him. I swear that one 600w amp hits almost as hard as my old dual 800w Audiobahns.

Comment

Originally posted by McCorkle
              I don't care about being to hit extremely hard, I just want some bass to fill out the sound.
              That was taken from my first post.

But I really don't care about having a "bangin" sub. I just want something to give the car a bit more bass. Anything more and I get tired of hearing my trunk rattle.
              Last edited by McCorkle; 12-01-2004, 08:45 PM.

Comment

That amp is great if you wanna have a little single voice coil sub. The 5th channel is only 4ohm stable if I remember correctly. I've had to deal with quite a few problems from salesman running them at two ohms and the amps shutting off. My suggestion, if you wanna stay Alpine, get the MRVF-340 and the MRDM-501. You can then run one decent dual voice coil sub at 2ohms and be very happy with your sound quality.
                01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

BTW, has anybody checked to see if we can order the triangular pieces on the top of the door panel from Mazda? Specifically from the MSP since the piece is fitted for a tweeter.

Comment

word.

My advice ole buddy ole pal:
                    Spend hte money for the type X components on Diamond HEX series (with teh silk tweeters) and find a nice arc amp. I had hte alpine amp and yea it was pretty bad ass with all its features but hell you dont need it and can get a much cheaper amp for less( i like my new jbl amp that I got for 300 at the local shop so who knows on ebay ) as for the back, if you want type R's i have some 6x9's still somewhere in the boat storage at my parents house that I can sell to ya for cheap.

Comment

Do I dare read what I think I am. You're telling me to not buy Alpine products.

I'll get back to you on the Type R's when the time comes. They look like a pretty good, affordable option for the rear deck right now. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on this project once I get a few things paid off and buy X-mas presents for the fam.
                      Last edited by McCorkle; 12-01-2004, 11:19 PM.

Comment

yes you read right, i said dont buy alpine... the only thing alpine im gonna buy again is an indash screen/dvd/player thingy since i have a car that have one me and a friend went on a 1200 mile roadtrip in the pony last weekend and the navigation options woulda helped alot... and we went 1200 miles for buffalo wings. and buffalo wings alone. sad isnt it?

Comment

Mmmm....buffalo wings. Post up some of the Arc amps that you think are good. I'd like to take a look at them.

Comment

Yes, the arc amps are very nice. I was in a guys truck yesterday with a full arc setup and its one of the cleanest sounding vehicles i've ever heard.
                            01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

I agree... the v12 amps are very nice but you could get something just as good for cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X