noise when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noise when driving

Noob here and hope its the right place for this.

Got a 99 Protege ES AT with 40000 miles on it. Never do brake job but do a alignment last summer (need new tires because the inside parts of all tires wear off, am thinking $99 BF Traction t/a at costco)

the question:
    1) when its about 20-40 mph, I can hear some noise sometimes but not always. Don't matter is going straight or turning. After above 50 no such noise (or i can not hear it) and no such noise at idle or low speed... what could it be?
    2) last night when driving at quiet road, I hear it first time (my wife drive the car and once in a while I do), noise when i step on the gas... not quite like the sound you usually have when stepping on gas... Once i lift my foot off the panel, no such noise...

Thanks ahead for input.
    Last edited by lsman; 12-01-2004, 02:42 PM.

hmm what kinda noise... kinda sounds like a transmission thing to me... my car makes a loud whistling noise at 60mph only when its really windy outside, wish i could fix that.

Comment

I worry the trans too.
      But the noise "click click" higher pitch.
      and it start even its park and i step on the gas. there is the normal engine rev up sound and within 1 sec, this click sound was there. Stop after I lift my foot off gas.

Comment

ZE-512s are cheap at vulcantire.com, I bought mine from them, no probs at all. The noise you're describing almost sounds like valvetrain ticking, but it's hard to be sure with such a vague description.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
          robisconfusedd: are you confused enough that you can't find answers to all the problems you're getting in the faq?
          oo i hadnt seen the faq until now, sry and thanks! i know im a n00b but what does TSB stand for?? "A TSB was issued to remedy the problem"

Comment

technical service bulletin

Comment

(sorry to hijack your thread) ^^ thanks

Comment

Thanks TheMan for the FAQ, I look at the TSB, the closest is
                01-006/00 1999-2000 Protege - Exhaust Resonance Noise At Approximately 2200 - 2300 RPM

But I sign up the Mazda website and no re-call... But look like there is accounting to the above.

I test drive in last week and with special attention to the rpm... yeah, the sound "Errrrr" only near or at 2000 rpm. under and over it will have none and for all gears (just low gear will pass so quick you do not notice it)

BTW, new tires are in.
                Still went to Costco for the $99 BF Traction t/a at costco because they have lifetime wheel balance and stuff (price include install, everything except tax)
                My car had a accident on the right real tire (I believe something connected the wheel to "wall" tear off and others bent. The repair work is done but I think not feel up to the standard, (why my tires even alignments done just wears on side, uneven)
                I need better snow (but all season) handling. Wife not going fast anyway (I think)

But I will look into different tires when this are up.
                Last edited by lsman; 03-21-2005, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lsman
                  Noob here and hope its the right place for this.

Got a 99 Protege ES AT with 40000 miles on it. Never do brake job but do a alignment last summer (need new tires because the inside parts of all tires wear off, am thinking $99 BF Traction t/a at costco)

the question:
                  1) when its about 20-40 mph, I can hear some noise sometimes but not always. Don't matter is going straight or turning. After above 50 no such noise (or i can not hear it) and no such noise at idle or low speed... what could it be?
                  2) last night when driving at quiet road, I hear it first time (my wife drive the car and once in a while I do), noise when i step on the gas... not quite like the sound you usually have when stepping on gas... Once i lift my foot off the panel, no such noise...

Thanks ahead for input.
                  Camilo

Intense Performance South
                  Florida Mazda Club

Comment

look some times that tire brand makes noise check the alignment again you have to check it because you have new tires
                    Camilo

Intense Performance South
                    Florida Mazda Club

Comment

The noise was there before I change tires. And more clear to me now that I can easily reproduce.

alignment and noise need 2000rpm... Hard to believe a link between them...

Its not like in one gear (speed), it in every gear when it appeach 2000rpm, there is sound.

Comment

sounds transmission related then, or valvetrain.

edit: what happens when its in neutral and you just rev up to 2k and hold?

Comment

Working...
                        X