Trade in mazda for.....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trade in mazda for.....???

So I'm debating trading in my 2001 Protege LX2.0 (auto tranny) for a 2004 Pro
    Now my question is, is it actually worth the cash/effort to get a Mazdaspeed?
    I wouldn't keep the body kit for over 2 years, I wouldn't keep the rims for over 1 year (nor the tires)
    I wouldn't keep any of the interior or anything..

essentially, I would be paying for the engine, essentially.
    (and I would repaint it cuz i don't like the orange or yellow)

Should I just get another LX2.0 (standard with all the neat toys)and play with that?

But... is it just me or are there more toys for the MSP than just Pro?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

It's up to you, but there aren't any 2004 Proteges. It's going to be the Mazda 3 soon enough. That might be an interesting thing to wait for.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Re: Trade in mazda for.....???

Originally posted by Lil Freek
      So I'm debating trading in my 2001 Protege LX2.0 (auto tranny) for a 2004 Pro
      Now my question is, is it actually worth the cash/effort to get a Mazdaspeed?
      I wouldn't keep the body kit for over 2 years, I wouldn't keep the rims for over 1 year (nor the tires)
      I wouldn't keep any of the interior or anything..

essentially, I would be paying for the engine, essentially.
      (and I would repaint it cuz i don't like the orange or yellow)

Should I just get another LX2.0 (standard with all the neat toys)and play with that?

But... is it just me or are there more toys for the MSP than just Pro?
      If you're going to trade for an '04, you'll be getting the redesigned Mazda 3, no longer the pro.

They look promising with 147hp and 160hp engines avaliable. I'm sure turbo kits for them will be showing up sooner or later, since the Focus is sharing the platform/engine.

Apparently the new mazda 3 is 40% more rigid than the 3rd gen pros, which will equal tighter handling. However, they do seem to see a significant jump in weight, but until they release any absolute numbers, who knows.

If you were getting the MSP and then selling everything off of it anyway (aside from the suspension) you'd be much better off just buying a 3rd gen 2.0l and building it up.
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

yeah. sorry, my bad..
        i just looked at it and i remembered they're releasig the 3 soon enough.
        i don't really like the look of the 3.. it's nice.. but doesn't have that humble sexy look that the Pro has.
        I sent a local dealership a request to trade in my car for a 2003 lx2.0
        with the few add-ons that I have, it should make up a chunk of the difference in cost.

RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

ok here's wut i think....

u want cheap car but as fast as msp? get a 323 for $500 then buy a $300 engine u'd be running 15's all day. here's the catch tho its not as appealing as the msp and its not as comfortable as the msp either. Here's wut i did built my 323 for daily drive and race ( sometimes ) then got me a protege 5. y the p5? well if i get the msp then ima end up racing both cars. with this plan atleast i get to have a race car and a weekend car and plus msp is like $22k-$24k and thats just a protege! i bought my p5 for $17,888 out the door. see the difference? but if u have the $$$ then get the msp.

Comment

for what its worth, ppl are walkin out of showrooms with MSPs for 18k all said and done now and theres a bunch of used MSPs on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by slug420
              for what its worth, ppl are walkin out of showrooms with MSPs for 18k all said and done now and theres a bunch of used MSPs on the market.
              Don't you feel sorry for the people who paid sticker or over...

Just wait for the 3. It is going to be a lot better than the current Pro.
              2002 Silver ES 5-Speed
              1983 F-150 351W

Comment

Originally posted by kc5zom
                Don't you feel sorry for the people who paid sticker or over...

Just wait for the 3. It is going to be a lot better than the current Pro.

Speak for yourself. buy a titanium MSP :-)

Comment

18k damn thats a good ass deal ! wish we have that deal down here cuz the cheapest u can get here is 21k and thats a sticker price.

Comment

I think I would wait for the Mazda3 also. I don't like the wagon, but I do like the sedan. Why trade a '01 on a '03 LX when they are virtually the same thing? MSPs are nice too. I haven't been in one, but hear lots of good things. You can probably find a nice used one I am sure for thousands less. If you just want speed, get a SRT4. Okay, I am ready for the flaming.
                    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                    Groundkit

Comment

I can't buy american cars cuz:
                      a) i like cars that work
                      b) i don't have all the time in the world to fix it
                      c) i'm 6'5 and only fit in japanese cars (odd, no?)

i called in a few dealerships and they gave me some quotes on 2003s... not worth the money for a new paintjob and 0km odometer.
                      i'll just keep my car and maintain it and mod it to no end.

IMHO - the mazda 3's exterior is nice (not exceptional) and the interior is nasty .... but that's just my opinion on it

RB springs
                      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

I am 6'4 so I know what you mean about fitting in to cars. Get the MSP then. You get a lot of zing for your bling. Seems to have a lot of good handling characteristics, turbo, and nice appearance. The MSP comes in other colors other than orange and yellow. Titanium silver and mica pear black just to name two. I think I'd get the silver if I were to get one.
                        2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                        KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                        Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                        Groundkit

Comment

Well it depends.
                          I blatantly didn't read any of the other posts because I want to give my own opinion

ok If you keep your Protege. Your best bet is to pay it off and then get a turbo kit. Ofcourse maybe the kit may come with the T3 toaster and all the gauges and nick nacks that you really need. If you can install it yourself that will be more money that is saved. Then you will have to concentrate on suspension. Because you can't roll turbo on stock brakes and factory slop shocks. You will need to update the shocks the springs and anti - roll bars. Then you can work on the interior and audio system.. You can basically drop in some race seats and your good. Then you can work on a good mp3 audio system with a heafty 12" woofer and a amp.

At this point I have to say you can eat a mazdaspeed, pretty easily, only problem is the exterior won't be the same and quite frankly it's not a mazdaspeed.

you can add up the cost for all that stuff.

Or

You can go to the dealer trade your car in, get a mazdaspeed. Continue making payments to the bank that you owe money to for the next 5 years. Oh don't forget you have to have full coverage. because well you know, it's the banks money .
                          But at this point, you will have a really nice looking car. with big wheels, that semi trick suspension and a defenite attention getter.(good for pulling ladies... ORANGEMSP) ..

You don't like Orange and you don't like Blue.. well the msp now comes in yellow gray and blue.. so you can take your pick ..
                          either way I just think it is a matter of Finance, and personal opinion.

With the MSP , you will still want to upgrade to a front mount and hard pipes. not to mention a bigger turbo..

But the MSP is a really nice car and is one that I would choose to purchase if I was in need of a new car.
                          Bruce
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I walked away from the dealership with an 03 LX for just over $12k, after trading in a piece of **** 80's Chevy with no mods. Put a turbo in it, new wheels, new suspension, any exterior mods you might need, and you looking at something pretty close to the original price of the MSP, but customized the way you want it. Probably the only thing you'd be missing is rear disc brakes, and as far as I can tell it's only an aesthetic difference anyway -- the LX with drum brakes stops on a dime.

Comment

Another thought -- one of the biggest selling points of the MSP (as far as I can tell) is the suspension... I got Eibach springs put in my LX, lowered it about 1.5", and the handling is absolutely insane on a twisty road. I've never driven an MSP, but I can't imagine it could be all that much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X