oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil consumption

this is totally buggin me, yesterday i went to check my oil, and i'm at 3200miles since my last change, and there was no oil on the dipstick. i flipped out. i put in a quart, and it barely showed on the dipstick. there's no oil drips on the ground or anything, i cant see any leaks on the engine and i havent noticed any smoke at all. where the hell could it all have gone? i usually can go 3000miles without it using any oil. any ideas??
    '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
    18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

The piston oil squirters consume alittle more than normal, but my guess it maybe your piston rings have gone bad and your burning it.

Comment

my question though is that if i was burning it wouldn't i be able to smell it or see some smoke? my car smells totally normal when its running or when i get on it and i have never seen any smoke. i have no idea where it all went, i just got done changing my oil, and there was only about 3qts in the engine. this is really starting to scare me.
      '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
      18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

Comment

Make sure you thoroughly check the engine compartment for leaks, from above and below, before making conclusions that the car is burning that much oil....
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

2 quart's is a lot to be missing.
          I would think it may be along the lines of what mspeedwest said
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

these things routinely drink a quart every 3000 miles under normal operation, with a 13 year old car with probably a lot of miles on it, checking the oil should be something you do every couple weeks anyway.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by sileighty21
              my question though is that if i was burning it wouldn't i be able to smell it or see some smoke? my car smells totally normal when its running or when i get on it and i have never seen any smoke. i have no idea where it all went, i just got done changing my oil, and there was only about 3qts in the engine. this is really starting to scare me.
              have a buddy drive behind you and run it through the gears 1-2-3 pretty hard (over 5000rpm) and i'm sure he'll see some puffs of smoke.

You won't smell it or anything, it's not burning alot at any given time.

Comment

hold a white cloth to the tail pipe while you rev it up and if you have no smoke its coming out in a steamy black cloud , my new pro does it , and my old 90 pro did it too, its just the age of your car dont freak just keep her up on oil
                No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

I'm starting to get scared too but the opposite is happening to me. Every time I check my oil its at the same spot. I got the same reading 3000 miles ago. Its at full and I don't think I can trust the dipstick. But then again, if it's true, I don't want to be putting any more oil in it than it needs. It's still clean too. *shrug*
                  '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

Comment

i don't think the SOHC has the piston oil squirters.

Comment

my bp is exactly the same.... accelerating hard away from lights at night you can definitely see the puffs of smoke in the lights of the car behind but you don't see anything during the daytime.

just add more oil when you hear the lifters start to clatter away hahaha :ARCADE:

it's off the bottom of the dipstick when the lifters start answering back hmmm, how do i know that?

Comment

Hey guys this car uses oil, for every thing, lubrication is a most in this engine... especially on the doch, i check the oil every 2 days , you never now... if something is leaking etc... i also change the oil every 3 months, about oils.... what do yo think about Valvoline.... o other motor oil brands...
                        94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan
                          my bp is exactly the same.... accelerating hard away from lights at night you can definitely see the puffs of smoke in the lights of the car behind but you don't see anything during the daytime.

just add more oil when you hear the lifters start to clatter away hahaha :ARCADE:

it's off the bottom of the dipstick when the lifters start answering back hmmm, how do i know that?
                          I know this now, too. I had no idea it could drink up 2 quarts so fast . Oh well, lesson learned!
                          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

when i get my oil changed, or do it myself, it always takes 4 quarts. at about 1,500 to 1,600 after doing the oil change, i get a valve tap, check the oil, and consistantly, i've had to add .8 quarts (as the dipstick says and turns out to be when it's done being poored out of the bottle) and it runs fine till 3,000 miles and needs another quart. at that point, i change the oil anyway, so i figure, 1 quart between oil changes is what my car consumes. i don't know, my oil plug has been the cause of my major oil leakage this past time. they over tightened the damn thing a few months ago to the point where when boostedpro (adam) and i decided to change the oil, all that happened was the drain plug stripped. had the oil changed and flushed, and low and behold, oil leaking like a banshee, ****ers threw 2 gaskets onto the bolt... and even after fully tightening the damn thing myself, the drip has lightened a little bit, but still leaks or burns from some place. at anyrate,
                            peace

Comment

my sohc eats oil like a mofo. but its from a leak somewhere on the block which i've yet to identify. changed the valve cover gasket and it seems to have slowed down.

but on the highway after a good day of hard driving, I always find i've lost about 1/2 litre of oil.
                              Current Cars
                              94 DX, 97 Corolla
                              Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

Comment

Working...
                              X