how low is to low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how low is to low?

hmm need some opinions here, i want to lower my car but i dunno how much i want it about 2 Front and Rear but it will be on the stock tires so i really dont want it to low now plus i live in utah so im gonna bottom out on every damn entrance/exit so should i jsut drop it 1.75 front/Rear? in the near future i plan to get some low profile tires and a nice set of rims but to broke right now so any opinions on how low i should drop it right now?

Oh, man. Please do a search on this one. This have been gone over more times then Jenna Jameson has been laid.

"Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

yeh i think im just gonna go with the 1.75 for now.

and sorry turbonium ill use the search next time i promise

<-- (plans to make next thread about what kind of exhaust would be better) lol j/k

Comment

i think more then a 2.5drop is too low. but if u got air...then nothings ever too low. cause u can raise it to drive, or lower when ur stoped or pimpin da strip!
        Maroon 1995 Probe SE
        Beige 1994 Protege DX
        Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

this one has been discussed many times

i remember one post where we all posted pics of our 2nd gen and the labeled how low it was

Comment

yeh im going with the 1.75, pigeon what kind of lowering springs do you have? are they apex? i seen your car on cardomain and i like how yours looks

Comment

yep
              if you check my car domain page i also wrote a really small review on them

Comment

1.5" lower is pushing it without shortened struts or REALLY stiff springs (ie, greater than 300 lbs.)
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                    1.5" lower is pushing it without shortened struts or REALLY stiff springs (ie, greater than 300 lbs.)
                    yes, on harsh bumps i bottom out

i cant afford shortened struts at the moment,
                    and i refuse to cut any of my bump stop out to stop it from bottoming out

if the spring rates were designed proportionally to the amount lowered...
                    it shouldnt bottom out

not to mention, if you get kyb gr2's, and you dont lower more than 1.5 inchs, you get a lifetime warranty

Comment

why do you refuse to cut the bumpstops in half? that's pretty silly not to cut them...
                      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES
                      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                        why do you refuse to cut the bumpstops in half? that's pretty silly not to cut them...
                        well, the bumpstops progressively increase in stiffness as they get compressed

if i cut away half of this, im going to hit them less often... however when i DO hit them it will be much harsher

if im going around a corner at speed, and i bottom out for whatever reason... having more bumpstop there is more predictable and easier to control than the sudden shock i would get from half of a bump stop

however, i am aware that some spring manufacturers do suggest to cut them in half, and use the lower portion

in the case of my car, leaving them in whole still provides me with sufficient travel

the only times that i do bottom out is if i hit larger bumps when im going fast

Comment

I like my 1.3" drop, subtle, just closes the wheel gap, and you can feel it in the handling

Comment

yeh thats kinda how i want mine.....just like have it sit right on the tires kinda but not ALOT because utah is so bad to lower it because of the snow and all the entrances/exits like i said before..

just dont know what springs i could get for a good price and have them be good is the prob.

(EDIT) i kinda want it like the photoshopped pic in my sig....maybe not that low but kinda like that
                            Last edited by Mazda96Protege; 12-15-2004, 10:44 PM.

Comment

i was just gonna ask about your signature cuz it looks very real (cant believe its photoshop) it would be awesome if you can make it real.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                              Mods:
                              DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Working...
                              X