1st gen speaker walls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st gen speaker walls...

IM interested in a single sub and a amp, but i wanted mounted on a wall in my trunk. Nothing special. Ive had the urge to try it myself. Any pics our tips on putting a speaker wall together in a 1st gen. Hi Fi buys charges 100$ for a speaker wall built, with the purchase of speakers. Should i go ahead and shell out the 100$? Or try it myself?

who is hi fi buys? what materials are they using? is it a carpeted installation? a wall installation isn't entirely too hard if you measure twice, cut once. depends on your eagerness and skill, but with all the details, you may make out better time wise just paying for it.
    kevin

Comment

HI-Fi buys is a real good stereo electronics store. They are kinda rare. i guesst here isnt any near you.

check him out: http://www.tweeter.com/home/index.jsp

yea it would be carpeted...

Comment

ah.. ok, yeah, i have tweeter.. i love tweeter typically because they tailor to higher quality products, they usually only court higher quality installers. thats just a generality i've experienced in my area. depending on what 'speakers' they're asking you to purchase, i would definately go for it, personally, custom fabrication is not my forte.. so i leave much of that to professionals.. installation of speakers, subs, head units, and amplifier wiring, i prefer to do myself as i have a certain applicable level of skill. for a simple 1/2 or 3/4 inch mdf wall with 12 square feet of carpeting, the actual cost for materials isn't much more than $15 bucks.. IF that, what you're paying for is skill, knowledge, labor and competence. so realize, you're spending the extra $85 or more (if you don't actually have a WANT for the speakers) simply on someone's ability to perform a task.
        kevin

Comment

im not a speaker guy, i just want a single sub for a little buimp. Just to add alittle something. I got a friend that did his wall (well started) . Dont know i might tyr this one out myself. Doesnt seem to hard. And yea, the hi-fi buys has some great quality workers. I went there for a show and was impresed. Anyone got a wall in there 1st gen?

Comment

why do you want a wall? is it going to be fully enclosed, or a dipole/free air system?

Comment

I have never heard a free air setup that outperformed an enclosure. I'd suggest a small enclosure that you can easily unplug and remove if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                I have never heard a free air setup that outperformed an enclosure. I'd suggest a small enclosure that you can easily unplug and remove if needed.

exactly

Comment

I would think even the pre-built sealed ones that you get at audio shops would do better overall.

Comment

well, knowledge speaks for itself.. but from a logistical standpoint, i think it's not that bad of a deal to have the project done custom.
                    kevin

Comment

i dont want a speaker box in my trunk slidign around, i went through that before. Im just lookin for a wall for a sub and a amp. I know the free air wont sound as good, but im not a big bass type of person. I just replaced my intererios speakers, and i wanted to get another sub to finish it off. Id truthfully rather buy more performance parts, but its one of those tihngs.

Comment

c'mon bro, dosen't take a genius to secure a sub box and still make it removable

if ya really wanna be cheap and save for performance parts () the 99cent stores have bungee cords....lol

well, IMHO, your wasting performance part money on a sub par (pun intended) sound system, that your satelites will probably outperform.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
                          c'mon bro, dosen't take a genius to secure a sub box and still make it removable

if ya really wanna be cheap and save for performance parts () the 99cent stores have bungee cords....lol

well, IMHO, your wasting performance part money on a sub par (pun intended) sound system, that your satelites will probably outperform.

Well u got a point, b/c my new 6 1/2's sound great. Eh, ill put that on the "later" list. BTW does anyone have a enclosure in a 1st gen?

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
                            i dont want a speaker box in my trunk slidign around, i went through that before. Im just lookin for a wall for a sub and a amp. I know the free air wont sound as good, but im not a big bass type of person. I just replaced my intererios speakers, and i wanted to get another sub to finish it off. Id truthfully rather buy more performance parts, but its one of those tihngs.

enclose the sub. it will sound a ton better.

walmart has industrial strength velcro that works pretty good for securing sub boxes

Comment

maybe if i find a good deal on one, ills tick with it. I had a 10" Rockford HE in my old car with a 300watt amp, and i loved it . I wish i never sold it....it was perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X