Problem with Front Strut Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Front Strut Bar

just installed my front strut bar and i have a problem. Right at the MIDDLE BOTTOM portion of the strut bar, it is hitting a part of the intake manifold about the size of a button. when the idle drops you can hear them hitting each other or vibrating. i am positive its that part cuz after installing the black brackets i noticed the bar sitting right on top of the manifold and when i took the bar off and turned it over the bar was all scratched on that middle part.

i have 2 ideas but would want to ask if it's ok or not to do so.

1. i will use a file to file down that "button" sized portion of the intake manifold. to give them space, or
    2. use 3 washers on each side to make the black plate go up a bit.

i am kinda inclining towards filing down the intake manifold cuz i really dont think i would need to file it down a lot. will try to get some pictures.
    Last edited by beetle_orange; 12-15-2004, 11:19 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

sounds like you have it figured out already,
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

not really. they are just ideas and not sure if they are good or bad. i dont know if its gonna be ok to file the manifold down even if its just one or a couple of centimeters or millimeters and dont know if its gonna be ok to put washers cuz increase in height of the bar might mean it will hit the hood.

Mods:
      DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.

Comment

I used that strut bar for over a year, and I had some occasional rattle. I figured it was the bar vibrating because its links to the brackets werent's solid. Maybe your intake manifold is sitting higher than mine?

Comment

Yeah post some pics if you can.
          ED
          '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
          Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
          WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

got a digital camera for xmas. now i dont have to borrow a camera before i can post pictures. what a relief. here is a pic of my engine bay and a pic of the problem. needless to say i went ahead and filed down the intake manifold. it improved a LOT but i could hear some rattling when the RPM goes below 500.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by beetle_orange; 12-27-2004, 11:27 PM.

Mods:

Comment

The pics look nice, what camera is it?
              Oh BTW, I'm glad you solved the problem.

Comment

its a canon powershot elph SD200. took the picture around 3 pm and only now was i able to figure out how to crop the picture. if i did not i am pretty sure people here would be cussing at the size of the pictures that i would have attached. i am sure there's an easier way but i had to go to paint and stretch/skew the picture and the went to dell picture studio and "crop" the picture up.

with the problem with the strut bar i was thinking of maybe drilling a hole right under the strut bar to totally eliminate the rattling sound since i do not want to file the manifold any more than i already have. like in my previous post the size of the contact is about a shirt's button.

Mods:

Comment

Why in the world would you grind on the manifold? Do you realize that if the manifolds cracks, i.e. due to temperature changes, etc, you will be screwed getting another one. You would have been better off modifying the bar. Wow.

P.S. Your RPM should not drop to 500RPM. For manuals trannies idle is between 650-750 for MTX and 700-800 for ATX.
                  Last edited by turbonium959; 12-27-2004, 08:26 PM.
                  "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

do you suggest then to go ahead and drill the bottom portion of the bar that still hits the "button sized" portion of the manifold to totally eliminate contact between the 2?

Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by beetle_orange
                      do you suggest then to go ahead and drill the bottom portion of the bar that still hits the "button sized" portion of the manifold to totally eliminate contact between the 2?
                      I am not sure why your bar hits the manifold, mine has never come in contact. But you could have at least used some washers to place underneath the brackets to lift the bar somewhat. But if I had to drill/grind something, it would definately be the bar. I mean, do not take it as if I am trying to flame you, but this was not a smart thing to do.
                      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

my 2 solutions were filing down the manifold and adding washers to the base of the plates. i was afraid that if i added washers then i would increase the height of the bar and hit the hood. after i had filed the manifold did i think of drilling the bottom part of the bar that hits the manifold. i seriously did think of the consequences of filing/grinding the manifold but it was really really really not that much that is why they still hit each other when the rpm falls below 500.

P.S since i have a manual trans my rpm goes below 500 when i sometimes release the clutch early without enough gas or like in a previous thread here about the Z5's problems, when i come to a stop the idle goes down first then recovers to go back to normal idle.
                        Last edited by beetle_orange; 12-27-2004, 10:34 PM.

Mods:

Comment

i used to have that kind of strut bar on my gen2 too..didnt have a problem with the intake manifold..i would rather put washers too..a minimum 1 washer. check also your engine supports, they may be busted already hence the vibration...
                          ProtegetechPhilippines Boy MazdaspeeD MyCaR

Comment

Working...
                          X