Mobile 1 synthetic overview.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile 1 synthetic overview.

1st of wasnt sure where to put this, but I saw the description as something that improved or did not imporve your ride so I thought that it should go here.

Apparently those who use mobile1 and do an oil change every 3000 miles are casuing MORE wear on their motors than the people that do the oil change say every 8000-10000 miles.

apparently letting the oil break down over time causes it to coat better and reduce wear more. Changing the oil before it has had time to wear down causes more wear than that of someone that waits for 8k-10k miles.

Guess once I get the BPT in I wont be doing oil changes until I hit 10k miles or so.

edit ~> thx to gtx510 off of mazda323performance for his posts of the links.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

i plan on doing the same
    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Its gonna be weird pushing the motor to 10k w/o changing the oil but if that is what is good for it then who am I to argue.

Comment

Bah... after 10k miles of driving, i wont have anything to change
        My oil vanishes somewhere, no leaks, no smoke... but from time to time, its missing. I think redline causes that :D
        One day you are born,
        The next big milestone
        you discover go zoom-zoom
        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

I have been doing it every 5K ever since I got the car, and so far, it has been more than 70K with Mobil1 oil and filter.
          "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

i was thumbing the 3 owners manual and IIRC the first oil change and subsequent others, was scheduled for either 5k or 7.5k depending on your geographic region.

i'm with MazdaMadness...but i have smoke

Comment

8-10 is what the site reccomended. I would assume 10k is a bit pushing it. 7.5-8k would probably be best I guess.

Comment

Mazda recommended for me to do it every 5k.
                According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Interesting article. However, I'm not so sure that Mobil 1 is a true PAO synthetic oil as indicated on the website. In any case, I use Red Line oil which is a true synthetic derived completely from Polyolester Base Stocks. According to their website: www.redlineoil.com Red Line states that their oil lasts 25,000 miles in field tests but recommends shorter drains to provide a margin of safety.

They go on to say, "We recommend draining the oil between 12,000 and 18,000 miles depending on the type of service and the degree of blow-by gases contaminating the oil. High-speed freeway driving is easy on the oil due to its excellent thermal stability. If the engine is worn and if considerable stop-and-go driving is involved, 10,000-12,000 mile drains are suggested. ... Filters can be changed every 7500 to 10,000 miles in order to assure filter durability is not a problem."

Thus, Red Line's recommendations are in line with the findings of the study you cited although Red Line does not say the oil actually improves with use. The oil study you mentioned also notes the beneficial effect of top-up oil on extended period oil changes either through loss replacement or oil filter changes. For example, in the 2.0L engine according to the FSM, the OEM oil filter holds .2 qt (6.4 oz) so a filter change alone would add that much new oil to the mix. In cases of extended oil change periods, the use of the 626 V6 oil filter would be even more advantageous since it has ~ 20% more filtration area and capacity (my calculations) and should hold ~ .24 qt (7.7 oz).

When I bought my car, I had the oil changed every 5000 miles according to FSM and dealer recommendation. When I switched to synthetic, I naturally had to do my own oil changes (which I prefer anyway) but after the first 5000 miles on synthetic I changed my oil as a matter of course. I never have had to add oil between changes by the way and I assume this is typical of low-mileage Protege engines.. I also switched to the 626 V6 oil filter. In the light of this new data, I also might consider going to extended oil change intervals of say 10,000 miles even though it goes against everything I've previously learned about the importance of clean oil.
                  02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                  MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                  MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                  Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                  MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                  Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                  Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                  Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                  Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                  Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                  Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                  Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                  Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

why don't you think it is a true synthetic?

good find on that article. I have been using mobil 1 for about 12k miles, and I have been changing at 3333... or so.
                    My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                      why don't you think it is a true synthetic?.
                      Check out TheMAN's informative post about synthetic oils:
                      Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

According to TheMAN, oils such as Red Line, Torco and Spectro use only Ester base stocks meaning they are 100% synthetic. Mobil 1 and Amsoil use PAO base stocks which are derived from organic materials (such as mineral oil) in the production process. TheMAN goes on to say that the Feds allow a PAO base oil to be classified as "synthetic" when a mineral oil is chemically modified to have a more consistent molecular structure.

02 DX Millenium Red
                      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I agree, parts will always wear, reguardless of what you do. With regular (synthetic blend) I would say change religously every 3k miles. Hell I do my b6 with valvoline max life every 3.5k miles.

Full synthetic is different than regular oil. I wont go into how they are different and why full synthetic is better vs. a blend. That has been covered before and there are alot of good sources about that out there.

Brown to black color doesnt mean that it will clog passages. Clogged passeges are cause from engine wear and in itself particles in the oil. Changing them does remove them from the oil yes, but as stated changing out a full synthetic before it has a chance to break down and better coat the motor does more harm than good causing excess wear on the motor.

IMHO use a magnetic drain plug to catch particles if they are there and use a full synthetic oil and change it once every 5k-8k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                          ..Guess once I get the BPT in I wont be doing oil changes until I hit 10k miles or so....
                          aren't you supposed to change the oil more often when running a turbocharger? IDK about you but if I had a VJ20 spinning a kazillion rpm... i'd want to make sure that oil was in tip-top shape.
                          '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                          '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                          '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                          '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                          '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                          '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

More yes, but that was teh reccomendation for non-synthetic oil. Changing full synthetic oil (which should ALWAYS be used in FI setups) prematurely could actually cause excess "wear" on the turbo and cause it to be more problematic and be prone to failure.

I probably wont push it all the way to 10k tho.... that just seems wrong like you said for a turbo.... Somewhere in the 8k range is probably more like it.

Comment

Looks like i'll be changing my oil every ~7k miles. That was an informative article.

My oil also seems to just vanish from time to time (No leaks that I can see) but the same thing also happened in the test. Unless I missunderstood they had to add 1/2 quart of oil for higher mileage.
                              ED
                              '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                              Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                              WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Working...
                              X