Anyone else ever do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else ever do this?

Waxing wheels. My Miata wheels had tar on them, I used brake cleaner to get it off and they looked nice, but I thought about it and since it's winter road salt can eat through the wheels' finish. Tonight my dad had to work on our MPV so I thought it a good time to wax the wheels. Ofcourse I used the wax we have at the dealership, but it's good enough. After waxing the wheels they look good and feel very smooth. I'll have to wait for snow to see how they are with salt and grime on them.
    Just wondering if anyone else does this, or am I just nuts.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

you might be nuts, lol j/k i wax my windows and ****, i pretty much way the whole car.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

I still haven't waxed my Protege. I think they waxed it at the dealership I got it from, and while they did a crappy job(the hood looks like they just waxed over bird crap and dirt) it's ok for now.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo

Comment

lol, hey off topic question for ya, i have the same crap tires on my miata rims, and im lowered 2 inches, and they still dont tuck the way i want, have you considered changing to maybe 205/50/r16 tires like me???? alittle more tire will fill the gap.
        .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
        225.94wtq
        torque monster!!!!
        dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
        http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
        http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
          Waxing wheels. My Miata wheels had tar on them, I used brake cleaner to get it off and they looked nice, but I thought about it and since it's winter road salt can eat through the wheels' finish. Tonight my dad had to work on our MPV so I thought it a good time to wax the wheels. Ofcourse I used the wax we have at the dealership, but it's good enough. After waxing the wheels they look good and feel very smooth. I'll have to wait for snow to see how they are with salt and grime on them.
          Just wondering if anyone else does this, or am I just nuts.
          Our winters are a little bit harsher up here (understatement ), so most of us take of our wheels for winters but a lot of those that don't (and that are not just stupid) do wax their wheels it's great protection against the salt and all the other **** that gets on them in winter.

from my experience the two best products are the NuFinish wax and the Mothers Billet metal polish

Comment

Originally posted by THEGOLDPRO
            lol, hey off topic question for ya, i have the same crap tires on my miata rims, and im lowered 2 inches, and they still dont tuck the way i want, have you considered changing to maybe 205/50/r16 tires like me???? alittle more tire will fill the gap.
            Well, I don't want to offset my speedometer so I'm staying with 205/45s, Toyo Proxes FZ4. I should have them by Friday. I'll let you know how the tires are, I've read both good and bad reviews on them and sometimes I think I should have gotten the Proxes 4 instead, but I found these FZ4s for $69 each.

Try using the tire size calculator on Miata.net, here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Going from my 14s(185/60 14) to the Miata's 205/45 16 makes the speedometer slow by 2.3%. Now then, changine to 205/50 16 would make the speedometer off by 5.9% Quite a difference.

Comment

wax the wheels? i used to wax the 15'' es wheels i had, i put a few coats of wax on my 01 ES 16's each time i wash it, lets you clean em with a rag vice scrubbing them. and makes em look better. Doesnt hurt them.
              Maroon 1995 Probe SE
              Beige 1994 Protege DX
              Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

My wheel vendor said never to wax my alloys, only to wash them with car soap. He said the clearcoat acts as a protective film. That's what I've been doing for two years now and they look great. However, I only use my alloys from April through October and consequently, they have never been exposed to sand or road salt. I don't know how they'd hold up without a protective wax coat in those conditions.
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Applying a good wax or sealant to wheels is always a good idea. The clearcoat does serve as protection, but the clearcoat needs to be protected with a wax or sealant. The clearcoat on your wheels is the same clearcoat that is on your paint. Does your paint need to be waxed/sealed to remain in good condition? Yes.

I use a sealant on my wheels every time I wax my car, which is about once a month. Every time I do a full detail on my car (twice a month) I take the wheels off completely and clean/seal the backsides of the wheels as well.

A sealant or wax will keep the gloss of the wheels, and make future cleaning much easier. The benefit of a sealant is that it can withstand higher temperatures than a wax, and will hold less brake dust.
                  5spd Maxima SE - SOLD
                  '99 Protege LX 5spd, silver

Comment

Working...
                  X