RX-8 Production Halted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RX-8 Production Halted

Japanese automaker Mazda Motor Corp. said Thursday it had yet to estimate operational and financial damage from a fire at a major plant in Japan that caused the factory and another nearby operation to close.

"We completely shut down our Ujina 1 factory and Ujina 2, which are two of our main factories," a Mazda spokesman said.

"We do not know when we can resume their operations and how much damage we will see as a result of the fire," he said.

The fire broke out at around 11:00 pm Wednesday in the paint drying furnace of Ujina 1 plant in Hiroshima city, 650 kilometers (400 miles) southwest of Tokyo, before being extinguished after 6:00 am Thursday.

The fire was contained in the factory, but Mazda also closed the operation of Ujina 2, which is located right next to the plant, the automaker said.

Ujina 1, with an annual production capacity of 268,000 autos, is used to build the RX-8 sports car, the popular compact cars Demio and Verisa as well as MPV minivan.

Ujina 2 mainly builds Demio and has the annual production capacity of 236,000. No one was injured in the blaze.

Mazda stock fell 3.1 percent to 315 yen after the news of the fire that halted production at two plants reached the Japanese Market.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

damn that sux.
    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
    225.94wtq
    torque monster!!!!
    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

i never did like the rx-8
      .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
      225.94wtq
      torque monster!!!!
      dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
      http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
      http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Damn that does suck!, I used to think that the Rx-8 was ugly but then i seen it more and now its growing on me i love it and i want one so bad

Comment

suxOrs.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

technically the fire happened on the 15th of december, so you're both wrong.. so think of it as.. welcome to .. 2 weeks ago

Comment

Ya I think they are already back and running, 100% on 2 and 75% on 1. THem Japanese repair stuff FAST!!!

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
              Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

im going to buy one next year.

edit: its january, this year
                Serenity's Dead.

Comment

I am gonna wait for the new RX7...

1 word: supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by Astyl
                    Wait till the new rotary comes out, otherwise your gonna be stuck with a pretty slow car and not much you can do, engine mod wise, too make it that much better
                    i do not consider the rx8 slow. and the mazdaspeed rx8 will be supercharged, i consider that an engine mod to make it "much much better"

i sure as **** would never drive a ford, no matter how fast it was
                    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddX
                      i do not consider the rx8 slow. and the mazdaspeed rx8 will be supercharged, i consider that an engine mod to make it "much much better"

i sure as **** would never drive a ford, no matter how fast it was
                      amen to that. No offense to you ford guys...

Comment

ah....rx-8 slow.....have you ever driven one? straight line isnt the fastest out there but 0-60 in 5.9 isnt slow ....either is 1/4 in 14.5 and in the twisties theres not much out there that can hang with it ..especially for the price, I know of one person who clocked 2/10 of a second slower than a ferarri at leguna seca....stock.

Comment

How many plants does mazda have?

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                            amen to that. No offense to you ford guys...
                            I just don't see how people can hate fords so much. We have a 95 Ford econ 250 Van and that thing is a beast. We just replaced the original spark plugs and wires and we have driven that 250,XXX+ miles. The gap on the spark plugs were 2.5X what they were suppose to be. That thing runs great. It halls too. We have never had a problem with reliablity and we can get that over the Mountain pass on 6" of snow easy! My dads two (71 and 73) mustangs are awesome. So with my expeirence with Ford has been killer!

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                            Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Originally posted by BuGS
                              I just don't see how people can hate fords so much. We have a 95 Ford econ 250 Van and that thing is a beast. We just replaced the original spark plugs and wires and we have driven that 250,XXX+ miles. The gap on the spark plugs were 2.5X what they were suppose to be. That thing runs great. It halls too. We have never had a problem with reliablity and we can get that over the Mountain pass on 6" of snow easy! My dads two (71 and 73) mustangs are awesome. So with my expeirence with Ford has been killer!
                              my experiance has been good with ford trucks. my dad's had 350,000 miles on it when we sold it.

i have a problem with domestics in general.i have not had one good experiance with a car that was built in the good ol' USA. they are unreliable hunks of plastic. take ford for instance. in europe, ford's cars are rock solid reliable. but they have a guy here in the USA, and his job is to cut corners to save them some money. people always bitch about how americans should buy american made cars. well ****, if they were reliable, i would
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X