Noise from port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise from port

I have a fosgate punch stage 1 in a 2 cu ft. ported box, tuned to 33hz.

Now when listening to the port, like right by it. Theres a almost mechanical sound that comes out of it. Like sometihng metal in the box is being hit.
    I've stuck my arm into the port (4") to feel around and cant find anything loose inside. Any ideas/any thing I should look out for. The wire to the sub is a bit loose but I tried to keep it as short as possible.

Another thing im really dissapointed with this sub, it hits really loud just not hard, like I dont feel bass much more then just speakers. If I were to tune it lower would it give me the organ shifting hit im looking for.

with the stage 1 punch.. you can't expect much of anything.. subsequently, you wouldn't notice a tremendous improvement with a p3 IMO. as far as your port noise, maybe your enclosure is too large for your sub? as far as your grievances with the sound of the sub, with a ported enclosure, the sound of the subwoofer is meant to be a little more ambient than punchy sounding.. doesn't mean the sound is any less accurate, just deeper
    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2005, 07:38 PM.

Comment

The whole reson for me choosing a ported box vs. a sealed was for the deeper bass. I wanted it to drag out the bass hits rather then be dry. Im not gettin that though. While it does drag it out I just dont feel it.
      THe box is at the upper limit for the sub.

I noticed the sub has a removable motor cover that can be removed to increase clearence for the sub. This thing is a piece of plactic with metal inside, could this be the cause of the banging metal sound? Some where I read that this was benifecial in some way supposedly used to smooth out the sound or something like that.

Comment

Take it off and see if that fixes the problem

Comment

like kevin said, there is not a whole lot you can expect from them.

what kind of mechanical sound is it? as long as it's not a rapid, machine gun sounding mechanical noise, the sub shouldn't be bottoming out. something is probably just loose, or mabye it's tinsel lead slap.

i'm guessing you have the 15" model? if you want more feel, you need a sub with more excursion. there's a saying my buddy always says about his 5.0 mustang that applies very well here: "there's no replacement for displacement". the punch series subs just don't displace enough air.

Comment

Working...
          X