Best Engine setup for Autox??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Engine setup for Autox??

What would be a nice setup for an autox protege? I dont wanna go turbo right now. Im thinkin some miata 10:1 pistons, cams (dosent Gude make cams for us?) bigger injectors and fuel pump, rx7 vaf, maybe have the head milled down a bit or p&p it. That should free up some good hp dont you think?? I want to talk to a shop and see if they can modify my ecu in anyway to raise the redline im not sure how much of a benefit that would be, but that'd be cool to have a pro that can rev to like 8k. My goal here is hopefully around 125-140 hp at the wheels.
    Eat ****.

Don't forget about torque, the more pull you can get out of those tight turns, the quicker you can get to the next corner
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

True, but if i keep the car in the upper rpm's I wont have to worry as much about torque! Im also gonna add a genie header, and straight pipe. Id guess the torque would probably be somewhere around ?120? or so with all those mods.
      Eat ****.

Comment

What class?
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Well, for now since im new and Im not a very good driver, Im competing in STS, but im just gonna get all these parts 1 at a time over a year or so, and when Im a good driver Im gonna install them and compete in a better class. Im not 100% sure of the classes, but Ill figure it out i guess.
          Eat ****.

Comment

This is a dumb question considering I've never atuoxed. But if you're planning on keeping it in the higher revs, will you be needing to downshift into first for the tight corners? I mean if so, try and look into some sort of engine torque brace or filled motor mounts to keep the engine movement down (that jerk when you downshift). It could get pretty hairy if you're not great at heel-toe shifting.
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
              This is a dumb question considering I've never atuoxed. But if you're planning on keeping it in the higher revs, will you be needing to downshift into first for the tight corners? I
              I've never autocrossed either but I doubt that you slow down to the point where you have to get into first. That's almost a dead stop........

If you are n/a then the bigger injectors and a high flow fuel pump will not do any good, but an RX-7 VAF would be a good addition for the time spent above 6k rmp!
              -------------------------
              '91 LX
              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
              -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
              well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Go to an autocross with the car stock first. That will give you an idea of what you need to improve within the class you want to run.

Comment

Ive been to 1 autox so far, I took 14th out of 68th. I was in sts, with my only mods bein intake exhaust and strut bars. Im gonna compete next season in the same class with probably no other mods, just replace OEM parts to make my car run better. I want to get the parts though so when the time comes that Im a better drive and can compete in other classes, then Ill have a plan as to what type of setup ill run!!
                  Eat ****.

Comment

I sometimes don't care about the rules for a given class. I just want to do what I want/can (without regard to class rules) to the engine/chassis/suspension and race!
                    Sure, if you want to win points, it's better to stay within your class. Otherwise, you'll be beaten by cars in another class that you have no chance of beating, like a kart that can go 0-60 in 2 or 3 seconds hahaha.

I think ProtegeLX just wants to do what he can to his car and run the course/track as fast as he can.

You run it and then go "hmm. Let's look at the results and see who I had a better time than." True. That's not all that fair or good way to compare your performance--that's why the classes were created--but it's another way of looking at it *shrug*.

Could just go novice as long as the event staff lets you! Heheh.

Later.
                    Bryan
                    MOCC MEMBER

-"Mean people rule."

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                    Thought the oil pump was run off the timing belt??

Comment

That's cool and all, but he started by asking what would be a cool setup for autocross and the setup would depend on what class he wants to run.

The interesting thing is that he didn't mention a single suspension mod, which makes a much bigger difference in autocrossing than power.

Comment

When autoxing you rarely ever get any higher than 1st or 2nd. I keep my car in 1st thru the tight turns and 2nd when it's time to upshift.

Suspension upgrades are more important though....last month I got 3rd place .026 seconds away from 1st with my lowly 1.6 automatic.

STS Class:
                        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Even if your not competing for points, it's nice to compete against similar cars (civics, sentras, golfs etc) An STS car is basically just how you'd set up a street car...Thats how the class kinda came to be...

STS allows little engine mods...I/E/H nothing internal is allowed, an ECU chip or piggy back is allowed, but not a standalone. As far as suspension goes, it's balls to the walls, as long as all the parts attach to OEM mounting locations, it's all good (except for a rear strut brace cannot be an "X" brace, can only be a straight accross brace.

I agree with Cortez, learn the car as it sits. The ONLY thing i'd do first is good tires, other than that, learn how to drive an autox course.

Once you've done any internal mods (pistons, cams, etc) your moving into SM (Street Modified) and thats NOT where you want to be if your a competitive person, even if your not going for points and just for fun...it's still discouraging to get stomped on each week.

www.scca.org has listings for the rules of each class.

Oh, and yes, it does happen (not very often) where you downshift to first for a hairpin...you'd be suprised how fast your still going...but watch that wheel spin

Comment

Originally posted by cortez
                            The interesting thing is that he didn't mention a single suspension mod, which makes a much bigger difference in autocrossing than power.
                            Well the whole point of this thread was about the engine setup for autocross. I have all my suspension parts needed so far. You can have the greatest suspension in the world, but if you have a completely underpowered engine, your not gonna do very well. Even tho autox is like 85% driver, 10% suspension, and 5% engine, it still works out.
                            Eat ****.

Comment

With the rules in STS:

fresh shortblock
                              CAI
                              Header
                              stock cat
                              small 2" straight pipe exhaust

That's all you can do. So there's your "best" engine.

RX-7 VAFs are illegal.

Like anything else, if you plan to change classes in the future, and want to go all out there, then you have to plan accordingly. Don't waste your money on a CAI when you'll eventually be doing quad throttle bodies....or the like.

If you're going to prepared, don't waste your time on a header that's not going to work with a 160 whp BP motor... etc etc etc.

The "best" engine is just one that conforms to the rules at hand.

The ultimate engine would be the TODA race motor with a CVT.....that should only cost ~30,000 bucks.
                              "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES
                              ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                              Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                              X