cost to go fast and handle!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost to go fast and handle!!

I went to like 50 sites today and figured out everything I want to do to my protege, performance wise, and made a list, then totalled it up. With all this **** put on my car, it'd probably be a mid 15 second car, and handle extremely well. The total came out to $3354.60, and that dosent include shipping. Thats not a bad price, but for that I could probably swap in the GTR motor, and have a really fast car that dosent handle all that well. Now I think if all that money was put into a Honda, or another mainstream car in the same way, the protege would perform close to the same if not better than the other car. If I put my mind to it I could probably have that money saved up in a few months. I think Proteges should be more recognized and more parts, ie: 6 speed sequential trannies, bolt on turbo kits etc. should be made for it. One day the protege will be famous like the other cars!!!
    Eat ****.

Quaife will do custom one-off sequentials for ~15,000 bucks, so they ARE out there.

Also, "bolt on turbo kits". We do one better....we have OEM bolt-on turbo kits.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Ohh ****, Im about to save up $15,000 for that tranny!! And as for the turbo kit, The OEM ones, youd have to salvage all the parts yourself, someone should sell it all as 1 package thats what I mean. Does anyone even have a sequential tranny in their pro? I swear im gonna get a loan and get one or something!! That would rule. I love my car
      Eat ****.

Comment

I'm sorta suprised that FM doesn't whip up a quick kit for the 1g proteges. I mean, they already have SO MUCH work done with the BP for the miata. So they'd have the manifold and turbo (given it still fits mounted differently), then just fab the intercooler mounts and plumbing...

Now that's not all, they'd have to re-tune their kits because of the differences between the BPs, i.e. intake cams, higher compression pistons, different intake manifold (???).

Plus they already have kits for the newer proteges. Perhaps someone should contact them about this? I don't think it would be too tough for them, but maybe the market isn't there? Who knows.
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

Hate to break it to you 91ProtegeLX, but good luck doin a GTR swap for $3354.60. I'm probably the only one that actually did it for about that. I got a front clip off e-bay for $2100 shipped and I lucked out and got a GTR however with the cost of adding parts like a bigger fuel pump, and parts for ignition and fuel plus gauges it eventually works out to around $3-$4000.

Adam
          1991 Protege GTR
          #1739 of 2500
          1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
          MODS:
          GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
          TO DO LIST:
          EDM/JDM rear bumper
          EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
          Repaint car

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedPro
            Hate to break it to you 91ProtegeLX, but good luck doin a GTR swap for $3354.60. ... it eventually works out to around $3-$4000.
            Isn't $3354.60 = around $3-$4000??? :p:

Granted you were lucky with your clip, but it CAN be done
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

Originally posted by funkdaddysmack
              Isn't $3354.60 = around $3-$4000??? :p:

Granted you were lucky with your clip, but it CAN be done
              yeah, right

really, it ends up being a lot
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I'm sure there are all sorts of "hidden costs" that add up too...
                ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

ok, that was just a guesstimate on the cost of the GTR swap, hows that. I want that ****ing tranny!
                  Eat ****.

Comment

Which tranny are you refering to? If it is the AWD tranny from overseas I'd say don't do it for 2 reasons:

1) Hard to find parts to make the AWD tranny work or to get replacement parts
                    2) I've heard that the AWD tranny isn't too solid and that you're better off with the LX tranny.

However, if you were refering LX tranny, go for it.

Adam
                    1991 Protege GTR
                    #1739 of 2500
                    1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
                    MODS:
                    GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
                    TO DO LIST:
                    EDM/JDM rear bumper
                    EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
                    Repaint car

Comment

X-trac makes a box for the older 323 GTXs....hmm, I saw one used for like 6,000 bucks, and then all the axles would have to be custom made to fit a BG chassis.... and then it still wouldn't hold much over 300 lb-ft I'd guess if you want to drag it or abuse it.
                      -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

damn that must be a lot of mods.

or
                        a

T3
                        custom manifold
                        custom downpipe
                        bov
                        custom pipping
                        new ACT clutch
                        damn 1800 bucks

man you still got 1200 bucks to go .... or so..
                        Bruce
                        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yeah, it included all the top of the line parts, and extra things like bushings, short shifter, a lightened flywheel, autox tires, camber plates, ss brake lines and a roll cage. I guess if you take out those things, well except the flywheel then it would probably be about 5 or 6 hundred less.
                          Eat ****.

Comment

dont go with a lightened fly wheel-it puts extra stress on the tranny and makes it go boom...

Comment

My wish list for the Protege was around 18,000 bucks the one time I actually wrote out a fair bit of it....

scary, huh?

It woulda been pretty quick though
                              -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X