Please help my poor belts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help my poor belts!

So out of the blue last month, I start getting SERIOUS squeel from my alternator belt, it wont go away and eventually the belt comes off and all my in car electronics die. I take it to the shop, and they say that while the alternator and the waterpump are both still turning freely, 99 times out of 100 with this problem its a bad alternator, so they convince me to buy a new one. I do, and they install it and set it all up and then when i take it home, i start to get squeeling again and eventualy it gets worse and worse, and the next day the belt comes off again, i take it back to the shop and they say well, if it wasnt the alterntator is must be the water pump, cause those are the only two things that belt drives, so they replace the water pump.

after that i have about a week or so with no squeeling and the car is actually driving better than it has in years. Then one morning a bad cold snap kicks in and it gets to about 10 degrees, and i fire the car up and get squealing immediately, and now its bad, worse sounding than it was before, but this time at least i'm not losing power and the belt is staying on. The problem is, i took it back to the garage and they say the belt is tight as all get out and even crazier than that, whenever they fire the car up they get no squealing at all, it drives fine for them.

I dont want to keep throwing money at this problem without really knowing what's wrong, so i figured someone in here might have had bizzarre belt problems similar to this in the past. if you have, please help me out, this has cost me too much money allready!

-aslan
    R.I.P.
    Pro-Pro
    1998 - 2005
    "Live fast, die young, sell you parts on e-bay"

ive had the same prob man, i boguth the car and my belt either snapped off or just fell of because it wasint on tight enough, went through about 20 belts and finally i jsut gor fed up with it and i took it to a shop to fix the prob, turn out i had a piece of metal or plastic that ahd broken off of soemthing and was cutting into the belt they fixed that and put my belt back on but now it squeeks even more now because they put it on tight......i haveint had time to loosen it up yet......just get some belt dressing and take it off your self and adjust it or tighten/loosen it untill its just right

Comment

uhh yeh i know but who gives a **** its a ****ty ass 2nd gen Z5 haha, but yeh belt dressing SAYS it helps it stop squeeking and not come off......but all you really need to do is adjust it. mine is to tight but its snowing and i gotta work hella overtime so never have time to adjust it so its not overtightend

Comment

So yeah, i brought my car home from the shop with some sage advice last night. Finally they were all confused about what was going on , because the belts never squealed when they drove it, only when i did. So finally my mechanic goes... "do you give your car gas when you start it?" and i think for a second and i say "well yeah actually, i learned on my mom's stickshift and you had to give that gas to start it." He was like "yeah, try and not do that and see if you have better luck"

well he was right, i havent been doing that and i havent had one squeak, not even a peep. I feel like kind of an idiot, i knew in my head that i didnt have to do it for the type of car i had, but I didnt think it caused any damage. But anyway, there you go mystery solved.

-thelyonhart
        R.I.P.
        Pro-Pro
        1998 - 2005

Comment

how does a belt squeal from giving it gas when you start it up?

Comment

Well, the explanation he gave me is that it shouldnt make it squeal, but that it could because when you start the car , especially if its cold, it does a high rev anyway to get the car up to speed. if you give it gas when its doing this, i confuses itself, and then will idle lower, which was the real problem, my car was idling down around 500 rpm or so, which is when the belt would start squealing. So in essence, yes the belt isnt adjusted perfectly, but it wouldnt be an issue if the car wasnt idling so low, which it was only doing because of the way i was starting it. it sounded kinda silly when he told it to me, but you cant argue with results, so far its worked like a charm, even if i've had to face the cold hard fact that my protege will never be a race car :-(
            Last edited by TheLyonHart; 01-06-2005, 12:13 PM.
            R.I.P.
            Pro-Pro
            1998 - 2005

Comment

so do you just push the gas in then let off and start or push the gas in and start it while still on the gas?

Comment

i think he just starts the car and lets it idle all by itself......i think.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                Mods:
                DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

damn my car wont stop anyways it does it for like 20 seconds when you start it up then it will stop usually if its worm out or the engine is hot it wont squeek

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                    you don't EVER rev the car after you start it on ANY *MODERN* car... nice one!
                    what does reving it do bad?
                    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.