Stock Struts w/Tein Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Struts w/Tein Springs?

last week i put lowering springs on my car...tein s.tech...i'm not sure if i need to change the struts...they told me they were still good...but everyone is saying that i should get out of the stock struts before i mess things up. what do you think? i eventually need to change them....i have 96k miles on it...so it time, right?
    which struts is better? KYB or Tokico...

www.floridamazdaclub.com

Protege is going back to stock...its time for a change...she will be traded in soon.

For Sale:
    4 17" exel TZ 7 rims w/2 good tires (other 2 need to be replaced) -- $150

If your talking about the kyb gr2's there just a step above stock and should still not be installed on a lowered car...It really all depends on how much the springs dropped your car. I have the kyb gr2's and have had them for a few months and love the ride, but I have MSP springs and ride height is almost the same as stock. If I were you, I would get the Tokico's, but its not an immediate need, just do it if/when your stock struts give. I rode around on 2 blown struts for a month and it didnt hurt anything.
    According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

ok....thanks
      the springs dropped the car a little over an inch...

muh bad, its dropped 1.5"
      Last edited by PRican_Angel; 01-05-2005, 03:17 PM.

www.floridamazdaclub.com

Protege is going back to stock...its time for a change...she will be traded in soon.

For Sale:

Comment

I wouldnt really worry about it right now, I think your safe at an inch.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

wow for once i agree with TheMAN, **** you shoulda put in better struts before springs...

Comment

My car was lowered with stock struts for about 60k miles before one of my struts busted. I would say that your trying to screw someone over with knowing about suspension. Its not like your ass would have helped her out anyway you lurker. You sit around waiting to act like a bad ass and flame someone, and really you just make your self look like a retard. I've heard that a good remedy for your level of retardation is a good piece of ass, so check in to that. Read post #2 jackass, I told her they should not be installed on a lowered car, and since shes already paid to do it, i simply told her, that is was not immediate need, especially since she only went an inch. Now we'll see how "smart" you really are in a matter of days when her stock struts are still not blown. I know of atleast 3 people between this and the other 2 boards that have lowered their cars without the struts and are fine. You might want to lurk some other boards and quit trying to act like a hard ass on this one.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

now that Im through with that, heres the deal angel, The problem with stock struts is that they weren't designed to be continuously compressed, which is what happens when you lower your car. You're ride will suffer greatly once they blow and it's possible that you can loose traction on a turn and possibly spin out. So with 96k miles You might want to disregard me a little, thank The**** for bringing to the surface your mileage. But, As ive stated, there are a few people that have oem struts with springs and are fine, and have been fine for quite some time, talk to macdaddyslomo on msprotege. Its up to you all i wanted to convey was that it was no immediate need, just start saving to get some.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

psss...

who even cares if they blow or not? That's not the issue.

FACT: the car will be under-dampened and it will handle unpredictably and poorly. That's enough to warrent new aftermarket struts.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

wow...i didnt mean to cause a ruckess ;oP sorry!!
                  thinking of my mileage, i'm just going to buy new ones friday.

www.floridamazdaclub.com

For Sale:

Comment

Well, go to your car and press down on the front and then do the same to the back. If the car bounces a couple times, it may be wise to get new struts pretty soon, but if the struts just go back to normal position, you probably still would want to get new struts soon but it is fine until it bounces more than once.

(If I'm not correct, Don't flame me, this is what I heard from several people)
                    Mods:
                    B&M Short Throw Shifter, Kartboy Bushings, Tein S-Tech Springs, Injen CAI, OBX header

Comment

ok, you guys can calm down now....i feel the love on this thread...wow!
                      well, the actual drop is 1.5"....thanks

www.floridamazdaclub.com

For Sale:

Comment

Working...
                      X