Weird Noise under Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Noise under Car

So I've been driving lately and there is a weird loud noise coming from under my car. It sounds like a pan is dragging. I looked under and nothing is hitting the floor. Took it to a shop and they said something about a heat shield, 5 min weld and not a big deal. Its hard to understand these guys sometimes. But i'm guessing I need some part of the bottom welded? Anyone ever have this problem? They said it'd be ok for a while and it has been for like a month. But its getting ridiculous when I pull up to nice places.

Thanks!

Omead K.
    95' Protege Dx
    CA
    1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
    www.mazdaforum.com
    www.msprotege.com

HONDA

http://members.cardomain.com/bogey883

i know a lot would disagree with me but in my previous car i just had the heat shield removed.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Yeah, it is a very common issue with our cars, and others in general. Some people simply take(rip) them off, others try to fix them up. Not a big deal.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I'll probably end up taking it off...that noise drives me crazy...is it basically that long black plastic thing going from one end to another? I'll take it off when i change my tires...i was half asleep today while driving and didn't see a red light and when i noticed it i braked hard and skid like blocks length..messed up my tires...
        1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
        www.mazdaforum.com
        www.msprotege.com

HONDA

Comment

good to know you're 3000 miles away from me and not right next to me in traffic, all half asleep yeah, i had the same problem, it was the heat sheild by the exhaust manifold rattling like a tin can. Its a little problem and isnt damaging your car, but you're right it makes you sound like jalopy when you pull up places. I would turn my car off when i was waiting for my girlfriend in the morning, because the rattle was so embarassing
          R.I.P.
          Pro-Pro
          1998 - 2005
          "Live fast, die young, sell you parts on e-bay"

Comment

I have the same problem, but its not all the time...since i dont have a tach i use it as a makeshift shift point, but it gets real bad on the highway. but yea, its embarrasing, i hateit but if i drive nice and dont rev too high mine doesnt rattle

Mods:
            JDM Headlights + Corners
            JDM Tailights
            1st Gen LX Black Wheels
            Shaved Side Mouldings
            Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
            Cone Filter
            KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
            E-Bay front strut bar
            Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
            40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
            and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

yeah, i'll have to take it to a shop that'll do something about it for me. The highway patrol idiot that pulled me over the other day thought it was my brakes and wanted to tow my car away. He was like I can't let you drive with your rotors like that..and i'm like huh? oh! the tin can under my car! haha
              1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
              www.mazdaforum.com
              www.msprotege.com

HONDA

Comment

that bugs the fuk outta me only does it when im giving it gas and at certain RPM's......

Comment

well it does it all the time for me. like its getting worse..but i've been told its a small problem. when i start to accelarate it happens and even when i'm not it still rattles. sometimes i'll have to throw it in neutral for the noise to go away while i'm stopped but i don't want to keep doing that and fuk up my tranny. unless neutral doesn't do anything to your tranny but yeah i dunno. i need to get this fixed. grrr@ my lack of time. plus i've decided since i need a paint job but can't afford it, i might black primer my car for me. me and my car are slowly getting there.
                  1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
                  www.mazdaforum.com
                  www.msprotege.com

HONDA

Comment

i pulled mine off years ago

Comment

Are there any risks associated with removing the heat shield? I want to get it fixed within the next couple of hours..the clunking is driving me nuts!!!!! hah
                      1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
                      www.mazdaforum.com
                      www.msprotege.com

HONDA

Comment

um, heatshields dont make a clunking noise, they rattle and vibrate

anyways, there is 2
                        one ontop of the exhaust and one underneat
                        the top one is to stop heat transfer to inside the cabin from the exhaust, and the bottom one is so you dont burn leaves or grass when you park on top of them

i *could* be wrong however, that is my understanding of it
                        if someone knows 100% please correct me

Comment

which one did you remove pigeon? im gonan try to remove mine it also has gottin worse either that or i just notice it more now since i seen this thread

Comment

the one that was ontop of the cat

it would buzz at like 3000 rpm (this was 3 years ago when i first got it)
                            havent had any problems with its absense

Comment

it hard to get to? never looked at it before, and what tools do you need?

Comment

Working...
                              X