Affordable way to sound-proof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable way to sound-proof

Hi. I am not that bigon audio, and I think this is my first post in this section. Anyhow, I was wondering what is cheapest way to sound-proof the car. I was told by many that Dynamat is the way, but it is so damn expensive. Are there any other alternatives out there, or if you have any tips, I would appreciate. Thank you.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

well sound proofing isn't gona happen period, you can though however sound deaden you car and yes dynamat is a good choice but expensive as you have found out. goto www.edesignaudio.com they have a similiar product called edead. its about a buck/sq ft. so 60 sq ft is 65 bucks, it works wonders. why are you looking to put this in you car to begin with, this info will help out in furthering answering your questions.
    '02 classic red p5
    currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Thanks, man. I just want to have a quiter car, because it is rather loud, and especially noticable on the highway. Sometimes I do long hauls, so at times it gives me a head ache.

Comment

I really don't have any input in terms of what other brands are out there since I'm not familiar with those products in the States, but I just wanted to let you know that I just deadened my front doors, using a product in Japan called Deadening Kit 2190 from AODEA (Dynamat is way too expensive here as well) which has everything you need to deaden 2 doors, and the results are spectacular. The front speakers just come ALIVE, like you've never heard them before, especially the bass.

I know your goal is to make your ride quieter (in which case I would apply some sheeting to the doors, floor and firewall), but trust me it will also work wonders for your sound system.

There is a drawback to all this however: IT'S HELLUH HEAVY.

1996 Mazda Familia NEO BHA8S
        (Protege ES Fastback equivalent)

1.8l BP-ZE engine, lightly tuned.
        Check out my website for details:
        La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Originally posted by turbonium959
          Thanks, man. I just want to have a quiter car, because it is rather loud, and especially noticable on the highway. Sometimes I do long hauls, so at times it gives me a head ache.
          What kind of noise are you getting that would give you a headache? Are you using an aftermarket exhaust or muffler that can be heard from inside the cabin of the car? I am not sure that Edead or Dynamat can help in either case. It may help reduce some noise and rattling, but not significant enough to block out all noise.
          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
          Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
            What kind of noise are you getting that would give you a headache? Are you using an aftermarket exhaust or muffler that can be heard from inside the cabin of the car? I am not sure that Edead or Dynamat can help in either case. It may help reduce some noise and rattling, but not significant enough to block out all noise.
            Good thinking, MisterT. I used to have a canister Ractive muffler, but since took it off. Its just the road surfaces in New England are rather rough, and the engine at high RPM is not purring either, so the combo of those for hours on end, end up annoying the hell out of me. That is why I want to do the floorpan, firewall, hoodlines, and all 4 dours. I do not care for the weight I am adding, I just want to have a comfortable ride. Thank you guys for all of your suggestions.

Comment

for actually getting rid of road noise, dynamat won't do **** however thin carpet padding will get some spray adheasive and attatch it to the doors, floor, and firewall dynamat is only good for getting rid of sheet metal vibrations. but i would still highly recomend putting dynamat alternative around where every speaker mounts, cause it stops the panel from vibrating and causing distortion

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                for actually getting rid of road noise, dynamat won't do **** however thin carpet padding will get some spray adheasive and attatch it to the doors, floor, and firewall dynamat is only good for getting rid of sheet metal vibrations. but i would still highly recomend putting dynamat alternative around where every speaker mounts, cause it stops the panel from vibrating and causing distortion
                Cover all the service holes up, too, for better sound!
                (if you don't mind the weight trade-off)

1996 Mazda Familia NEO BHA8S
                (Protege ES Fastback equivalent)

1.8l BP-ZE engine, lightly tuned.
                Check out my website for details:
                La Sagrada Familia NEO

Comment

Get some shag carpet, fuzzy dice, and some strobe lights and make your ride a mexi-disco ride. :p: This one guy came in applying for a job at the shop that I worked at and wanted to be an installer. The 12 Volt manager (since we sold high end car and home audio) went out and looked at his ****. He had a sealed box with shag carpet on it!! It looked like a "Chia" box with green carpeting on it!:rofl: His friends (according to him) called him "Doc" because he would build things out of scratch. He bragged about picking people's electronic garbage including a vacuum cleaner and making something out of it. "Doc" is full of

BTW Blue, I am not making fun of your suggestion. I know you mean under the panels and ****, but I just thought of that guy at the shop and had to tell you that story.
                  Last edited by MisterT; 10-06-2003, 07:54 PM.
                  2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                  KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                  Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                  Groundkit

Comment

One can effectively deaden road noise, Lexus, Accura, Infiniti and Mercedes do it all the time. It is not superior Japanese or German steel, (no offense to our international audience here) but by deadening material.
                    A combination of sonic deadening material, such as B-Quiet, my favorite, and acoustic carpet matting material like Blue is suggesting, and you will get there. It does add weight pretty fast, and it is not a cheap thing to do. It is one of the extra price items that one gets ripped off on by the above mentioned manufacturers. So purchase the 30K car, or get the 18K car and invest some time and less than an additional 1K and get a car every bit as quiet!
                    David A. Cameron
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                    stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                    2004 Cooperworks Mini
                    2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                    Sine Pari

Comment

thanks dave and welcome to the board

Comment

Working...
                      X