the carbon fiber theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the carbon fiber theory

i found this somewhere. very interesting. READ.
    Many people buy carbon fiber parts for their cars, such as: hoods, trunk lids, fenders, bumpers and such, having the impression that they are actually reducing the weight of the car. The truth of the matter is; yes, there is weight reduction being made, but very minimal weight is being reduced, not to mention, in the wrong fashion. Replacing individual parts with carbon fiber parts, in hopes of reducing weight to become faster and lighter, is a lost cause. The weight lost, when replacing the parts with carbon fiber pieces, is extremely unpractical for the amount one paid, compared to the amount of weight lost. Furthermore, a car is aerodynamically designed, not only by style and structure, but by weight ratio and balance. Replacing individual parts at random, will not improve on weight reduction in the correct manner; if anything, it would cause the car to become unbalanced. Formula one race cars, fighter planes, and such, are designed and constructed using technologically measured and balanced pieces of panel which fit together snug and evenly to create a full aerodynamic unit, then wind-tunnel tested to reassure its aerodynamic structure. Therefore, does bolting on body panel pieces made of carbon fiber, actually sound like one would improve on performance? Personally, I think not.

On a side note, gutting out one’s interior, does not improve on weight reduction dramatically either; the most one would shave off of a quarter-mile time would be something in the range of 0.1-0.2 seconds at most, which isn’t worth much. If one were to correctly reduce the weight of the car, using carbon fiber, one would have an entire unit-body created as a whole piece, to sit on a tube chassis, with plexi-glass windows, and no interior what so ever. The exterior unit-body would be checked and balanced for aerodynamic symmetry and a balanced weight, to ensure maximum performance.

Having said that, carbon fiber aftermarket parts for the general car, is nothing more than a show piece. As popular as it has become, the use of carbon fiber is nothing more than a fad or trend in the mainstream of things, and frankly has been played out. People are now just applying carbon fiber parts to their cars in anyway possible, just because it looks “cool”. There is nothing wrong with that, “To each their own”, the thing that becoming annoying and bothersome, is that fact that some of these people have no common sense or sense of style. The use of carbon fiber, is just like the use of paint; keep the lines flowing, use a good sense in judgment with color coordination, and use carbon fiber as a textured accent to the car; not as a separate color of its own.
    '93 protege DX 5 spd.

yo mammy

by this logic, you should never put a muffler or intake on your car either, because the engine was designed as a complete system, and you're not optimizing EVERYTHING at once.
    "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
    -93 MR2, 129 ES
    ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
    Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Re: the carbon fiber theory

Originally posted by Tai Mai Shu

On a side note, gutting out one’s interior, does not improve on weight reduction dramatically either; the most one would shave off of a quarter-mile time would be something in the range of 0.1-0.2 seconds at most, which isn’t worth much.

To people that are truly dedicated to drag-racing, .1-.2 seconds does mean something to them. I am not one of these people, but that part I don't agree with....
      2000 DX, Blue
      Eibach Pro-Kit, MSP Struts, 16" Kosei's on Honkook Ventus HR-II's(205-45-16), MSP Exhaust, Injen CAI, MSP Strut Tower Bar, NGK Wires
      2 JL Audio 10w3-d4's in a sealed box, Rockford 500s amp, 2 6x9 Pioneer Premier 4-ways, 2 6x8 Kenwood Excelon 3-ways, Rockford 301x amp, Pioneer Premier DEH-P650, Dynamat in some fun places.....

Comment

This is true for somet things but not all.. some cars have insanely heavy hoods so a carbon fiber hood (or trunk) can be a worthwhile mod. Lots of vehicles (most sport compacts) have aluminum hoods now which results in about a 3lb-10lb weight loss. The part that gets me is when people do this and still have their spare.

Fenders though? Common you gotta be kidding me. I picked up the fender for my car with my pinky finger, and at the last car show I was at they were throwing them into the crowd.
        2002 Ford Focus ZX3
        1987 Mazda 323
        1993 Protege LX (coming soon)

Comment

The Protege has a pretty heavy hood!

I got used to the Miata and the WRX's aluminum hoods. In those cases a carbon fiber hood would not make much of a difference, but it would to a Protege.

I hate it when people use the excuse "but it only saves a little bit..." If you are serious about it, every little bit counts. Everything adds up. I guess it doesn't matter much on a street car, but it depends on your goals.

Comment

I'd also say it depends on the order in which you do things.. if your first or second mod is a carbon fiber hood and you say its for performance.. you should be slapped.
            2002 Ford Focus ZX3
            1987 Mazda 323
            1993 Protege LX (coming soon)

Comment

Everyone knows that you don't need the carbon-fiber parts for performance. All you have to do is paint a few strategic parts yellow, and it will have the same effect.
              ~Mark.
              2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

But if u had say 275-300 hp in a protege wouldnt it be better to have more weight over the front tires?. I mean more traction or lessweight with less traction but it weighs less? i dunno just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
                  But if u had say 275-300 hp in a protege wouldnt it be better to have more weight over the front tires?. I mean more traction or lessweight with less traction but it weighs less? i dunno just a thought
                  you already have 62% of the weight over the front tires. More is better only if your only concern is straight line traction.
                  -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

you are right Tai Mai Shu, CF is expansive. For the avg. preson, spending 700+ dollars on a hood for a weight reduction of 4 to 5 lbs is crazy. I work with advanced composites, mainly kevlar, but sometimes CF. We tried to make a CF hood for my car at work, didn't come out right. Our Vac pressure system would not cover the whole hood. I am also a welder. I am in the Navy incase you wanted to know. We use CF and Kevlar on our Jets, and helos. If you ever need any tech info on the stuff I can get the info for you.
                    MODS:
                    I/E/SS/

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil."

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                      you already have 62% of the weight over the front tires. More is better only if your only concern is straight line traction.

It wouldnt help out having more weight for the courners as well?

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
                        It wouldnt help out having more weight for the courners as well?
                        no
                        -93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
                          no
                          well care to elaborate... ?
                          00 dakota 4x4
                          90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

Originally posted by ne3ek
                            well care to elaborate... ?
                            I didn't think I had to.

Less weight = more lateral traction.

-93 MR2, 129 ES

Originally posted by WTF

Comment

jesse although you are correct not everyone is even remotely into physics to know that....

... so is it ok to get carbon fiber parts just cause you are sick of lifting a really heavy hood and like how the carbon fiber one looks as opposed to your stock one?
                              In the Garage
                              Black 93 MX-3 GS
                              Bp powered
                              GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
                              MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Working...
                              X