my struts are dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my struts are dead

ok, so my front struts are dead. now neither my mechanic nor myself have any experiance with aftermarket suspension stuff. i was flipping through everyones posts and Tokico came up alot, as well as Suspension Tech. springs. if i need to replace my struts, would i just buy these 2 things and put them on? help me because im clueless and thirsty for knowlage.

p.s. if anyone has any suggestions on other ways to go id love to hear them.
    Serenity's Dead.

this will show you how to remove and install them.

As for what to get....what are your plans for the car? Street, autox race, road race, drag race....

Comment

Re: my struts are dead

Originally posted by KiddX

p.s. if anyone has any suggestions on other ways to go id love to hear them.
      If you're looking into OEM replacements, I have the original struts that had 100k on them when I took them out. If you want them just let me know. If not, the zx-2 struts are the way to go.
      -------------------------
      '91 LX
      '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
      well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

so getting the stuff of corksport isnt a good idea?
        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

so getting the stuff of corksport isnt a good idea?
          If you're talking about the zx-2 struts then your best bet is to get them from www.oemfordparts.com The total for mine, including shipping and bearings, was around $225 which is a great deal.
          '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

i cant find them on that web site
            Serenity's Dead.

Comment

i cant find them on that web site
              '91 LX

Comment

so i need these, and the bushings right? what about springs?
                Serenity's Dead.

Comment

so i need these, and the bushings right? what about springs?
                  You need the bushings just for the front 2 struts. As for springs, the zx-2 struts are made specifically for the Eibach springs, but will work with any other spring as well. It's up to you to decide how big of a drop you want and how stiff you want the springs to be.
                  '91 LX

Comment

when u say i need 2, thats one for each side, not 2 each side right? i gotta get this all clear before i buy. how much a difference am i going to notice in handling?
                    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

when u say i need 2, thats one for each side, not 2 each side right? i gotta get this all clear before i buy. how much a difference am i going to notice in handling?
                      You need a total of two bearings (one on each side for the front only). As for the difference in handling. It'll definately be an improvement as you stock struts are blown at the moment. Have you decided what springs you're going to use yet?

I suggest you read over Darryl's page on how to install the zx-2 struts so you know what's involved and exactly what you'll need to do the job.
                      '91 LX

Comment

well my mechanic owes me a favor (i pay well, and beer well too) so ill have him look over everything i do. the only thing i see that might be difficult is making the hole bigger, right? also whats the url for those bushings, i cant locate them on teh site either.

springs, well i just want a little bit of a drop, if any at all. so either the eibachs or SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES. do you know about the ride quality of either? or is there somethin better to use?
                        Serenity's Dead.

Comment

The bearings are not listed on the website, you'll have to call the 800 number and talk to Teresa Valley.

If you so a search for ZX2 or S/R on the forums here, you'll find i've listed all the info before (don't have it in front of me now)

Comment

Here it is:

Struts and Strut bearings
                            Southwest Ford
                            Weatherford, TX
                            1-800-256-7933
                            Parts direct 817-596-5700
                            info@oemfordparts.com

And here are a few part numbers:
                            PART NUMBER: M-18000-Z2
                            DESCRIPTION: Heavy duty Tokico struts performance tuned to match Eibach springs for ZX2 suspension. Provide improved body control with firmer ride. Set of four (4) struts.
                            PRICE: $160.00usd (oemfordparts.com)

PART NUMBER: F8CZ-18198-AAA(order 2)
                            DESCRIPTION: ZX2 Front Upper Strut Bearing

PART NUMBER: F7CZ-3C134-BA (order 2)
                            DESCRIPTION: ZX2 front dust boots

PART NUMBER: F7CZ-18159-BA (order 2)
                            DESCRIPTION: ZX2 rear dust boots

Don't know what the price fo the ZX-2 boots is, but I just got the dust boots from Pep Boys for $5 a piece.
                            Last edited by Identity_X; 10-07-2003, 08:25 PM.
                            '91 LX

Comment

cool, soon as i sell my eclipse im gettin some of them bad boys. im going to have about 2 thousand to put into my car gonna be good
                              Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X