First sign of my transmission dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sign of my transmission dying

I pull into a store drive way to make a u-turn and as I pull into a parking spot, I stop put the car in reverse and there's an annoying clunking sound as I accelerate in reverse. Doesn't happen all the time though.

Might only happen when I accelerate too fast in reverse. Hopefully it's just a transmission mount. I'm not due for a tranny flush for another 10k miles. Might do a flush early.
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

mine is fukked......im at a light it turns green i give it gas and it revvs but does not move....its gotta get the RPMS high to even start moving it also shifts really hard

why did mazda fuk up everything with the 2nd gen? seriously tho we get the ****ty cylinder with no compression, tranny goes, and its slow

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like one of your mounts just bit the dust. If you need one, search it out on eBay. I know for the fact there are still on sale now. You have to search for "Mazda Protege 1998". Just look down the list, and you will find it. I just bought a front engine mount from there for $33! The quotes I got from local parts store ran me $125-150. If you want to go eBay way, make sure to specify exaclty which mount you need, because they have it. Just read carefully through item description for all the part numbers and such.
      "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

I'd say they didn't **** up much on the second gens.
        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I like my 2gen but of course I have a BP

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
            I'd say they didn't **** up much on the second gens.
            I don't really trust the automatics on any of the Proteges anymore.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Yeah, Automatics are for sissies
              Ryan The middle child is always ignored
              BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
              Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                Yeah, Automatics are for sissies
                Ouch That hurts

:: sissy mode off::

but I'm gonna get a manual swap. Oh yeah. Can't wait.
                ED

Comment

yeh i hate my autotranny i cant wait till i also do the manual swap and get a BP that will be the day!!

Comment

^^^^^ sissie to the max! but yeah i drive a lot and driving in california on the 101 and 405 freeways, manual trans would be a bitch. once i move out of state, i'll probably switch to manual. but for now, its automania!

oh and i hate my 2nd gen. well not hate..but dislike. it has some odd problems. but so far the problems i've had are small. so thank the mazda god.
                    1995 Protege DX

www.moccforums.com
                    www.mazdaforum.com
                    www.msprotege.com

HONDA

http://members.cardomain.com/bogey883

Comment

Speaking of mazda gods I'm so glad they didn't make the noise I thought a transmission problem. The noise I was hearing was the glass pack/resonator some guy put on my car. He had it too close to the heat shield. The shop just lowered it about 1/2". What a relief!!!

Got my mounts checked and they were fine.
                      ED

Comment

Well I don't care about driving automatic on the street, I do it nearly every day. It was at BUttonwillow and WSIR where it got very annoying.

Bogey, I took my stickshift Protege two days after I got it down to L.A. Driving down the 5 through central California is OK... then BAM you get to Valencia by the theme park with the superman ride. You learn how tiring it is to drive in traffic.
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

traffic is deffinatly the worst thing about a stick. but at least you dont sound like you have a family sedan with a silly automatic. sorry pigeon
                          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                          |.....Overnight....................| ||
                          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
                          X