Mazda Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazda Pickups?

Ive had a notion recently for a minitruck and thought about getting an early 90's b-series. I still want the truck to be practical as far as hauling small stuff so that its not just a toy but something useful. Anyways got bored and did a little dreaming.
    so heres before.

and my version:

Anyone have a b-series and would like to help me out with some buying tips as to what to look for beyond the obvious? I was also considering a rabbit Pickup.
    -tony
    -tony

I used to have an '86 B2200, I loved that thing! Had about 200k on it, and it still ran great when we got rid of it! Then my day had an '88 B2000, and the head warped on that thing, I think the water pump failed.

1. Get a 5 spd. My dad has a '93 B2200 right now sitting at the house because it has an auto that failed at like 75k. Not to mention the gas mileage was ASS horrible with the auto, especially for such a small truck/engine. Also they're slow as hell, and the auto kills whatever acceleration you may have.

2. Look out for rust. I used to call mine the rust bucket. Be weary of an older one with a bedliner if you're in a wet climate. There's bound to be some rust somewhere.

3. Make sure the tranny shifts well. We were on our second tranny in the '86 when we sold it. Listen for gear whine and make sure it shifts nice and smooth.

4. The rear drums such, so keep up with the brakes in the rear. My e-brake let out one time and my truck went wondering down my friends driveway/over the wall into his yard. Tough trucks! hehehe...

That's about all I can think of... Those engines are friggin' bulletproof (aside from warped heads, hehe), albeit slow as piss....

Nice photochop, btw... I like minitrucks a lot

Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

I would get a 5speed for sure I cant stand an auto.
      Thanks for the info.
      -tony
      -tony

Comment

I had a B2000 Sundowner from 1984 (the style before the one in your photo). Bulletproof. The only problem I had with it was that the gas tank rusted out. I think it had 175k on it when I sold it, and the only reason I sold it was because I needed more seats. It was very noisy and rough riding, but I've heard the later ones were better.

Only thing I can tell you to watch for is rust. I've seen several of those with serious rust around the points where the cab bolts to the frame, and they sag in the middle. You can always tell because the line on the bed doesn't line up with the line on the door.

Another truck you might want to consider, if you can find one, is an old Nissan/Datsun 720, made from 81-86. I had one of those, too (83 4wd 5spd) and actually liked it better than the Mazda (blasphemy, I know).
        ~Mark.
        2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

i know mazda made a rotary powered 1979 pickup? that would be a cool little truck to have. i know they have one at my mazda dealership

Comment

Re: Re: Mazda Pickups?

Originally posted by cablemirc

my dad got this same truck, same year, except no "king cab" or whatever mazda called it. no fancy trim, not even a radio.
            he got it in brown.
            it's got 780,000 miles on it as of last month.
            no rebuilds
            one clutch
            multiple brakes
            20,000 mi on one oil change (once)
            three accidents
            runs like a champ
            Dear jesus thats alot of miles. R u serious? i thought u were the leading mazda mileage guy in your family lol

Comment

i didnt think it was possible to get that many miles lol does he baby it to death?

Comment

Well thats just amazing. Shows mazda makes a quality product

Comment

Hey thanks for the info everyone Ill be sure to share some pics of whatever I get.
                  -tony
                  -tony

Comment

they last forever. just rear bed and frame rust are bad on alot of em. Just check them first. the interior is easy to redo or get new parts. just check the framework, body, and engine. makesure there is no build up ontop of the valves and under the oil cap. make sure the radiator is clean of rust and not clogged at the top with no build up inside the cap of the radiatior too. if all those are good.. Youve got urself a nice lil truck....
                    Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                    Beige 1994 Protege DX
                    Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Working...
                    X