Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you I.D> cars at night by their headlights??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you I.D> cars at night by their headlights??

Just like the title asks. I can identify most cars following me at night just by the headlights. I'm REALLY good at I.D.ing cop cars when they're following me slightly paranoid I guess. Most of the time I can tell cars that are coming towards me in the oncoming lane, but I seem to not be so good at that. Still can figure out which ones are the cop cars though.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

I used to be, until I actually started driving.

Ford cars (the ones you need to worry about) usually have that big amber in the center.
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

umm no.... Usually their lights blind me since my car is so low. Bastards...
      My OLD Car

Comment

cops around here the amber is on the outside of the headlights and the headlights are big rectangle... plus they are usually closer behind me than other cars are...that and if i cant tell i just hit hte brakes real nice and brake lights light up the front of the car but to answer your Q... yes i can

Comment

Yep the fun part is trying to ID them in oncoming traffic. Also fun trying to ID from the rear tail lights at night. (CARGEEK ALERT!!!!)
          2003 Protege5
          Midnight Blue MTX
          2002 Protege LX
          Black Mica MTX

Comment

i can i.d. MOST cars by either headlights OR taillights.

Comment

Tail lights I can definitly I.D. 99% of all cars on the road.
              My OLD Car

Comment

I can do it mostly, but now I wear low prescription glasses so my vision isn't as good as before. I probably went with glasses from doing that. :p: Agreed, Ford headlights blind the **** out of you. If you aren't sure, but are getting blinded, most likely, it is a Ford.
                2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                Groundkit

Comment

I used to be able to ID most cars that way about 10 years ago... I have found that a lot of headlights now look very very similar in the rear view... usually I can get the manufacturer as they seem to have common themes.
                  --JJB--
                  '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                  Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                  16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                  15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                  Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Originally posted by JJB
                    I used to be able to ID most cars that way about 10 years ago... I have found that a lot of headlights now look very very similar in the rear view... usually I can get the manufacturer as they seem to have common themes.
                    How many cars have you rear ended trying to figure out the car behind you at night?
                    2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                    KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                    Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                    Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                      How many cars have you rear ended trying to figure out the car behind you at night?
                      fortunately none.... yet!.... but that tractor trailer was close
                      --JJB--
                      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Originally posted by JJB
                        I'm of the same opinion, though I hadn't figured out why. I used to be able to pick em out, easy. Lately, they seem to all run together. (could be me though... but JJB has a better excuse.)
                        My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                        JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                        AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

yeah I can, but it got a lot harder when I put the 20% tint on the protege...
                          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I can't see anything more than a blur out my rear window...the tint has messed up or something and everything is blurry. I need to go back to the shop and have them re-tint the rear window but I'm having a feeling that they are going to rip half the defroster off in the process.
                            Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

the tint does mess things up. With the rear defrost, the tint is bent around the defrost lines which makes it look blurry.
                              My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
                              JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
                              AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Working...
                              X