Question about blown speakers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about blown speakers...

I just put in my Alpine type S 6.5" up front about 2 weeks ago, no amp, powered by a Pioneer DEH 4600. For some reason, a few days ago the right front started rattling. i tried changing the song, thinking that maybe it was just the mids or something, i turned down the volume, tried the radio instead of a mp3 cd, but none of it worked. all of a sudden it stopped though. i put the same song on again but the sound didn't come back. Ever since then it's been coming and going, the majority of the time coming as soon as i turn the car on after a night of sitting out in the cold. btw, its been hovering around 0 degrees up here in boston. any ideas? did i blow my first speaker?
    2002 Sea Breeze Green Protege LX

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
    2 MTX 6000's 10"
    MTX 4250D Amp
    Alpine Type S 6.5" Fronts
    B & M Short Shifter
    Kartboy Bushings
    Full Synthetic

I seriously doubt you could have blown the speaker just running it off the HU. Check the wiring... sound that goes in and out is usually just a loose connection somewhere. Your speaker might have come loose from the door which started it rattling and then worked a wiere loose or something of the sort.

Comment

it's probably just a wiring problem. however it is possible to blow a speaker off HU power, but you'd have to clip the hell out of the speaker and play way too low of a note in order to do it.

Comment

Yeah, it's MORE likely to blow off HU power than without an amp. I've terroized a couple sets of stock speakers with pink floyd and nine inch nails turned up way too loud on 20W RMS.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Turns out i had a little water somewhere. I turned the speaker upside down and a drop of water came out. i used a hairdryer on low heat to try to dry any water out of it. when i put the speaker back in, i water proofed it using the stock water guards. seems to be working ok...for now.
          2002 Sea Breeze Green Protege LX

Pioneer 4600MP Head Unit
          2 MTX 6000's 10"
          MTX 4250D Amp
          Alpine Type S 6.5" Fronts
          B & M Short Shifter
          Kartboy Bushings
          Full Synthetic

Comment

Ah. I was going to suggest the connection... That exact thing was happening to one of my fronts, sometimes it would distort and cut out. Turned out a wire came loose.
            1994 DX SOHC Auto (Tropical Emerald Metallic)
            Panasonic CQ-C8400 HU
            eDi 6500 Components
            Arc Audio KAR 200.2
            Elemental Designs NINe.1 Amp (1000W@2 ohm)
            eD 16ov2 IB
            eDead
            Autopage Security System + Power locks!!(KEYLESS ENTRY!)
            cardomain

Comment

Working...
            X