Rear 6x9s in a 1st gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear 6x9s in a 1st gen

I want to install my 6x9s in the back deck in the stock locations. Obviously they won't fit in without some amount of custom work. I was imagining I would just cut a spacer ring and mount that to the top of the deck with the speaker on top of that, so that I wouldn't have to cut the metal itself. I was just wondering before I got started if anyone had a better/easier method. Also, I use them as subs... is it going to hurt their performance to not have them mounted entirely in the trunk, and instead having just the magnet and a little airspace stick through?

if i had my digi cam with me id take a pic for you....i just removed the carpet thing, and took a jig saw to the metal....now i have infinity kappa 6X9's back there
    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
    Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

I suppose I should just do that, I just didn't really feel like cutting the metal.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
        I suppose I should just do that, I just didn't really feel like cutting the metal.
        Cutting metal is fun

I installed 6x9's a while ago and as far as I can remember there's no way you can fit them in there without cutting. Not that complicated and well worth it!
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I think I'm going to need a new blade for my jigsaw... the one I have has teeth about 1/4" size or so. Perfect for ripping plywood when the edge doesn't matter, not so good for precision metal work.

Comment

you'd probably end up with needing a good 1 1/2 spacer ONTOP of the back dash to effectively accept the curve of the 6x9's.. plus i'd imagine the sound imaging the speakers that close to the rear windshield would suck even more.. cut the metal.. it's the only long term, good sounding solution
            kevin

Comment

metal jigsaw blades = a few bucks.

have fun cutting it, don't break the back window, and wear leather gloves so you don't cut yourself on the metal.

Comment

Ha, I wasn't even thinking about the window. Are you speaking from experience?

Comment

Yes, the window is in the way. There's really not that much space to work because of the damn window...
                  '91 LX
                  '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                  well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

not from personal experience but my buddy had to replace his back window from trying to cut the hole from underneath, and at the back edge, the jigsaw hit the glass

Comment

I would think that in spite of the cramped space it would be better to cut from the top because at least you could see what you were doing.

Comment

he thought it would be easier to go from underneath. lol, how wrong he was

Comment

you can't get a jigsaw on the top unless you pull out the rear window.. honestly.. i couldn't get a cordless drill even on an extreme angle to screw in my speakers.. i ended up pre-drilling my holes from the bottom and pinning a piece of wood against the rear window.. kinda precarious, but it works
                          kevin

Comment

i didnt have any problems cutting it with a jig saw from the top...yes it was a pain in the ass but i got it done and my window is still intact...
                            91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.