Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple questions.

Hey fellow zoomers.
    I have an '01 ES w/4w discs and I need to replace the front pads. In searching parts books etc, there seems to be a question regarding pad material. Anyone know if they be metallic or ceramic or what? Also, since this is my first experience with ABS, is it a no-no to force the pistons back in with a C-clamp like I've always done? I hate bleeding. Thanks for the help!

Allen
    '01 ES 5spd. w/everything.
    '81 BMW 320i.
    "Hell no I don't drive it, I put it on and jump around."

I'm not sure what material the stock pads are, but I'd assume they're organic.

I don't see why it would be a prob to push the cylinder back in either. I'd just assume bleed the brakes while you are changing the pads though, thats just me.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurDent
      Hey fellow zoomers.
      I have an '01 ES w/4w discs and I need to replace the front pads. In searching parts books etc, there seems to be a question regarding pad material. Anyone know if they be metallic or ceramic or what? Also, since this is my first experience with ABS, is it a no-no to force the pistons back in with a C-clamp like I've always done? I hate bleeding. Thanks for the help!

Allen
      As far as pad material goes, I'm not sure. it could be either one, but NOT organic....the only ones that MIGHT be organic are the rears, and I think they did away with that by '01. I know Ceramic pads are an option on some cars, and are available for most from aftermarket companies. Being certified in brakes, and doing them for a living for a few years I've learned a few of the benefits. the ceramic pads last longer, stop better (in most cases, except for on an F150 for some reason), transfer heat better and NO DUST!!! they might be a good investment, especially if you have alloy wheels. There is absolutly nothing wrong with semi-metallic pads, and for driving in "real world" conditions they are perfectly fine. Another option is carbon metallic pads. they're priced between semi metallics and ceramics and offer the same benefits as the ceramics, but produce a little dust. (some, not a lot. considerably less than semi-metallics)

As far as compressing the caliper goes, you should have no worries about using a C-clamp. the only time it is an issue is on a "pressurized" system such as a Caddilac. in that case there is a procedure to "de-pressurize" the system and then it's treated like normal, but in your case, you don't need to do this, just do it like you would any other car.
      I hope this helped you out

oh, and unless you open the system (i.e. remove the line, caliper...etc...) there is no need to bleed the system
      Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
      http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
      together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

As long as were talking about brakes which are best in terms of not locking up. Ie for autocrossing and daily driving.

The stock ones lack the kind of bite I would like especially on aftermarket wheels.

The stock pads are OEM material according to tirerack, so I assume its some mazda blend. Further more what is bonded material?

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
          As long as were talking about brakes which are best in terms of not locking up. Ie for autocrossing and daily driving.

The stock ones lack the kind of bite I would like especially on aftermarket wheels.

The stock pads are OEM material according to tirerack, so I assume its some mazda blend. Further more what is bonded material?
          Bonded simply means that the friction material (pad surface that touches the rotor) is "bonded" meaning a special form of "glue" is used. Bonded pads are better than riveted ones because they are less likely to crack, and you have a little more of a "grace period" when the pad wears out. you don't have rivets to tear up the rotors on bonded pads. for the most part, riveted pads exist for very few applications(mostly older cars), but they used to be standard equipment
          Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
          http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
          together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X