Reasons to buy 3s over Scion Tc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons to buy 3s over Scion Tc

Ok, my girlfriends car just took a **** on her, i think for good, so shes looking at buying a new car. Shes basically in the same predicament as me - drives about 40 miles a day to/from school and wants something affordable and good on gas, yet sporty looking. She was talking about getting a Scion Tc or a Mazda 3s, since they both are similar. I took her step by step last night through both brochures and the differences in each, but I want some more ammo to throw at her. I know its not my car, but personally after sitting in each, I think the Scion is cheaply built and looks crappy on the inside compared to the 3s. And on top of that, she can get S-plan on a 3 and nothing off of the Tc. I figured someone on here would be able to give me some more stuff to show her, so thanks in advance.

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
    www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

The S-plan alone would be enough for me to choose the 3s over the TC. Scion has a no haggle policy just like Saturn does.

They are both great cars however IMO.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

i've never sat in a Tc, but they look sweet from the outside, nice wheels too.

I know it's a Toyota, but they don't really put their name on it. Still should be a reliable car tho.

and ya, S-Plan, S-Plan, S-Plan. I used it.

The 3s is a great car, the INT is very nice, sporty and quailty. 17" OEM wheels and soon to have lots-o-performance parts. I would assume TRD and others will have for the Tc.

I like the styling better on the 3s tho....and Mazda puts their name right on it

Comment

it's all based on opinions so I would have her drive both and let her make up her own mind?
        Here is a Thread that talks about what you are asking @the car louge

'I did nothing... I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be!?'
        -Dean
        2003.5 Vivid Yellow Protege5

Mods:
        18" G-Racing Kirins - hyper black
        Eibach Pro-Line lowering springs
        MazdaSpeed Axelback Exhaust
        Injen CAI - Polished
        Tinted windows. Llumar 35front 2&hatch glass/25middle roll down glass/18backside4
        DaveB trim rings
        Painted Calipers - G2

Stereo:
        Alpine CVA-1005 - 6.5" LCD Reciever.
        Alpine DVA-5210 - DVD/WMA/CD/MP3 Player
        Alpine ERA-G320 - EQ/Surround processor.
        Kicker IX-405D 5 Channel Amp
        Kicker 12" L5's in bandpass enclosure (2 of them)
        Kicker K-57.2 Components up front
        Kicker K-65 in back.

Future Mods?

Turbo?

Comment

I like both. The thing I hear about the Scion's is mostly cheap interior feel and quality. I think I'd probably go with the tC just because it's bound to get better gas mileage and 3-4 extra mpg will definately add up if you drive 40 miles almost every day. Toyota engines have that extra engineering to get wicked-gas mileage.

The tC is pretty heavy for a coupe, though.

Meh, they're both good cars. I'd probably go with the tC just to be a little different, and you know it's going to be bulletproof. My friend has had problems with her two brand new mazda 6s (first one was in the shop more than 10 times in less than 3000 miles, mazda reluctantly gave her a brand-new car. The new car is having tranny problems, too. Mazda is actually ditching the A5 tranny they have because they've had so many issues). Then, her husband had to get a ****load of tranny components replaced in his 8 because his car was grinding like a mofo going into second gear after 8k miles (not beating on the car, either). Mazda reliability seems to be going a little downhill from the days of old. I'd be especially weary of a fairly-new engine in the 3/focus or whatever it's sharing it with. They just need to work out the kinks.
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

thanks for all the responses, i'll be sure to pass them on to her. I'm just trying to be the nice guy and get some outside opinions.

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

I'll second the cheap interior. I test drove a tc and the shift knob rotated wtf? Does have some kick to it though . . . . I don't know, if it were me, I'd get the 3 partially because of brand loyalty (I like mazda) and partially because of interior fit/finish. The 3 has an incredibly well done interior and the options . . . well the options speak for themselves. Fully loaded still comes in right at $20k, damn good deal in my book.

Comment

i think the only options that shes considering are hte ABS/side airbag pkg, moonroof/6 cd, and the sport package

Comment

Sedan or Hatch? I'm more familiar with the hatch, I'm not sure what the sport package is. Either way, I think that the 3 is more well sorted and has better value.

Comment

The Sport package includes the 17" wheels and side skirts IIRC.
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

sedan, and Negatize you are correct side sill extensions and 17" wheels are the main features with the Sport Pkg.

Comment

I've never driven the tc but I do find it somewhat appealing, besides the obvious interior comments. But even though I like the tc I would stick with a mazda. The main reason is that Mazda at least has a history. Scion being a brand new setup even if a subsidiary (SP?) of toyota will have it's problems. They still haven't found the problems with thier vehicles and will need to go through the period of trial and error untill everything is perfect.
                        94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

my friends ex g/f had one..... The door that covers the radio broke and she had a braking noise/problem with the front drivers side... not to say that the 3 is perfect by no means...

Just tell her that the 3 got that NCST or something like that for the crash test that was posted about a while back and the 3 was #1. Since she will be commuting so far, safety should be a priority as well as mpg.
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

sport pkg
                            17" wheels
                            sport grille
                            side skirts

and thats the same pkg i got along with the curtain/side airbags, ABS, wheel locks, cargo net, 6cd and moonroof. (5sp of course )

good point on the crash test rating!

Comment

mazda=faster,better looking, nicer interior, better options, and its not a toyota
                              1997 U-13 Nissan Altima

Comment

Working...
                              X