V6 swap for AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V6 swap for AWD

I've just spent a good hour reading all the past threads I could find looking for information about V6 swaps. My understanding of the situation is that to do the swap, you need the transmission from a Probe/MX-6/MX-3 with a bell housing designed specifically for the V6 engine, and since they only made these cars in FWD models, the engine will not work in my car without serious modification. Therefore, the only engine swaps available to me are the standard 4-cyl direct bolt-ins. Is this correct?

FWIW, I know its not an easy solution, but if you could do a side by side comparison of the V6 mx3 subframes and the AWD pro subframes, you could get a better idea on the differences and wether or not they are compatible, what might have to be fabbed and so on. If you could get the engine bolted in to the AWD chassis, then you might have a fighting chance of making it work. I wonder, if the AWD tranny, which is a G series boxwould bolt up to the V6 bellhousing since the V^ MX6 used a G series as well.
    Just a few thoughts. It would certainly be an interesting swap.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

scroll down to themans post, he mentions an awd klze.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Hmm, hadn't seen that one before. I have to replace the tranny anyway if I'm going to make any kind of power, and I think I'd rather go with the GTX tranny because I know there a quite a few lying around the US with no drivetrain to match. I would have to import the Capella one.

Comment

" To bad it is not a KL with a ATX in there I have a super clean AWD tranny for the V6 that was as they say on "Monster Garage", "Freebie, Zero, Zip, Nada from on of the JDM guys."

from Vaughn.

looks like you can at least find AWD automatics... if that's your game.
          "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
          -93 MR2, 129 ES
          ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
          Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Never has been and never will be... I like to be in control of the car. It's not like I'm complaining about only being able to use the BPT or anything. That will be plenty of power for me, I was mostly just trying to figure out what options I actually had.

Comment

Go Joel!

and AWD KLZE with reliable diffs would be a thing of beauty and grace. I'd have to think long and hard about the ATX/MTX deal though. While i totally agree on the 5sp comments, it would still be pretty sweet

I send all good spirits your way

Comment

While I agree it would be very nice to have the V6, I absolutely refuse to make this an automatic. But I won't be able to do any of this for a long time anyway because of money, so maybe sometime down the road I will have the money and the inclination to import a tranny anyway. As far as the diffs go, I was planning on getting the rear and center LSDs from the GTX, which I would assume would hold pretty well.

Comment

well I think you can use a 1.6L miata rear end instead of the GTX one. Same thing. It's in the FAQ, I bet.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Good call, it says the LSD from the 90-93 Miata will work. I was mistaken anyway... the GTR had the rear lsd, not the GTX.

Comment

Working...
                    X