Need pic/description of shifter parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need pic/description of shifter parts

I just got my Pro last week. One of the problems is the shifter is loose as hell. I mean any parts that would normally keep it in place must be missing. All I have is the outer boot. The thing just flops around.

Can someone with a manual trans take pics or post a description of what holds it in place on the interior side? Isn't there supposed to be a support bracket, inner boot, springs, etc?

Thanks a lot

Chris
    95 Protege LX - DD
    88 RX-7 - autocross

Well I dont have a pic, the stock shift knob screws onto the shifter itself. If you got some autozone crap, then you put the rubber adapter between the two but it sucks badly. It''ll get loose because i went through 3 shift knobs that way.
    Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Originally posted by Torped0
      Well I dont have a pic, the stock shift knob screws onto the shifter itself. If you got some autozone crap, then you put the rubber adapter between the two but it sucks badly. It''ll get loose because i went through 3 shift knobs that way.
      I don't mean the knob. The knob and outer boot are on. I'm talking about whatever supports the shifter itself (from the top as opposed to under the car). I thought in the Haynes manual it showed a plate with some bolts and maybe a spring.

If someone has taken off their outer shift boot off, just let me know what you see under that. This stuff was missing from my car when I got it so I have no idea.
      95 Protege LX - DD
      88 RX-7 - autocross

Comment

Pull the Boot up.
        Then look down, you should see a white plastic looking cup.
        There is a C-clip that holds the PLastic cup in, and the shifter ball in.

As long as that is in place, you should be ok.

Does the car go into gear?

If not,
        Check the gear lever under the car.
        To Do This ...
        you willl need to jack the car up, and support it with jackstands(please support the car for your saftey). Then you will need to check the shift linkage. It is a long rod that runs from the tranny to the gear lever. You can check to make sure it is connected.
        If it is not, then connect it.
        If you don't have the bolts. A trip to the junkyard is in order.
        You can grab bolts from a 323/protege 1st,2nd gen, and they will fit up fine...

bruce
        photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
          Pull the Boot up.
          Then look down, you should see a white plastic looking cup.
          There is a C-clip that holds the PLastic cup in, and the shifter ball in.

As long as that is in place, you should be ok.

Does the car go into gear?

If not,
          Check the gear lever under the car.
          To Do This ...
          you willl need to jack the car up, and support it with jackstands(please support the car for your saftey). Then you will need to check the shift linkage. It is a long rod that runs from the tranny to the gear lever. You can check to make sure it is connected.
          If it is not, then connect it.
          If you don't have the bolts. A trip to the junkyard is in order.
          You can grab bolts from a 323/protege 1st,2nd gen, and they will fit up fine...

bruce
          Thanks Bruce. Yeah, it goes into gear fine and shifts fine. Its just real sloppy as if nothing is supporting it. I went to the dealer today and he looked at the parts list with me. I actually have everything there... but possibly the bushings that go under the c clip are worn out I guess.
          95 Protege LX - DD
          88 RX-7 - autocross

Comment

Working...
          X